Work Function Reduction

by teaforone
Tags: function, tungsten, work, workfunction, zirconium
Share this thread:
teaforone
Mar12-14, 12:32 AM
P: 4
Hi Folks,
I have been studying some scanning electron microscopy and read that the SEM tip is made from tungsten but is coated with a mono-layer of zirconium-oxide to reduce the work function from 4.5ev to 2.7ev, to make it easier to emit electrons (this is a field emission SEM).

Does anyone have any idea how this reduction in work function occurs? What is the physical mechanism and what is occurring at the interface between the two substances to lower the work function? Any references or links to help me comprehend this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Technique simplifies the creation of high-tech crystals
Working group explores the 'frustration' of spin glasses
New analysis of oxide glass structures could guide the forecasting of melt formation in planetary interiors
DrDu
Mar12-14, 01:46 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,560
Work function and it's dependency on surface effects is well explained in Ashcroft Mermin, Solid state physics.
Basically there are two important factors: 1. The Fermi energy of the metal, 2. The dipole potential at the surface.
The latter one can be influenced by a surface layer.
teaforone
Mar12-14, 10:27 PM
P: 4
Thank you DrDu, I'll try to check that out.

Register to reply