Physics major to engineering masters

In summary: As long as you have the degree from a regionally accredited university, you should be able to switch to engineering. However, you will likely need to take additional undergraduate courses to be ready for graduate work.
Wishbone
How tough is it to for a phyics major to go for their engineering masters? Also, how long it does it usually take?

Physics news on Phys.org
You most likely will have to go back and take undeegraduate engineering courses in your prospective major. Remember that in the US the engineering curicula are regulated by ABET and they usually only let you do gradaute work after you have an engineering degree from and accredited school.

You have to be an engineering major to get your engineering masters? There is no way to go from a strictly phyics undergrad. degree to a engineering masters? Seems a little strange.

ya I just checked into this, apparently, you can get into engineering grad school with a strict physics major.

hmmm...can a dual major in EE and compE with a minor in physics go on to graduate school in physics to study semiconductor physics? As far as I know, there is no accreditation board for physics, so is this not a problem, as long as you do well on the physics GRE? I would have all of the basic physics (Newtonain mechanics, basic E&M, quantum mechanics (physics major version), contemporary physics, solid state physics, EE eletromagnetic fields and waves, EE thermo, and EE mechanical systems. Plus I am gonig to take solid state electronics.) It seems like I could be a candidate for a physics PhD program...is this true?

I know I would be missing some of the lab components that full blown physics majors get exposed to, and I would be missing optics/lasers/micro, but I am going to take a photonics/optoelectronics course, which could be a decent substitute. This course also has a lab requirement.

I suspect that you can go to grad school in physics, first year or so will be tough, but you can make up the courses you have missed at the grad level.

is there anyone here that could help me with this? anyone ever gone from a physics major to a engineering masters?

Be careful, and check with the professional licensure agency in your state.

In Kansas, for example, you could earn a Master's or Ph.D. in Engineering, BUT you can NOT take the F.E. exam to become a professional engineer unless you have a Bachelor of Science in Engineering.

While you could work for a company that employs engineers, you could NOT register with the state as a professional engineer; consequently, you might find it more difficult to find a job.

If your state is more friendly to non-Engineering majors taking the F.E. exam, then you're in a much better position to switch to Engineering.

Jim

Wishbone said:
You have to be an engineering major to get your engineering masters? There is no way to go from a strictly phyics undergrad. degree to a engineering masters? Seems a little strange.

Why does it seem strange? Physics majors don't get taught nearly as much design as an engineer does.

Manchot said:
Why does it seem strange? Physics majors don't get taught nearly as much design as an engineer does.

In general, you do not need an undergraduate major in an area to enter a graduate program in that area.

If your academics are strong, and/or you can prove a serious interest and commitment to the program, you simply start out taking undergraduate level courses to 'bring you up to speed'.

I suspect any desire or rule to NOT admit non-engineering undergrads into engineering grad programs stems from the confusing state of professional licensure in many states, and a desire to not produce master's engineers who aren't fully employable in their state.

Jim

what about australlia , europe is it still possible?

i read in university of sydney about professional engineer and apparently it is possible to switch from physics to engineer , in fact that's the point from having a master in professional enginner .
but is it possible that a person with a physics degree abroad and come to sydney i don't know any thoughts?

1. What is the difference between a physics major and an engineering masters?

While both a physics major and an engineering masters involve the study of mathematics and science, there are some key differences between the two. A physics major focuses on the fundamental principles and laws of the universe, while an engineering masters focuses on the application of those principles to design and create solutions to real-world problems.

2. Can I pursue an engineering masters with a background in physics?

Yes, it is possible to pursue an engineering masters with a background in physics. Many engineering programs accept students with a variety of undergraduate degrees, as long as they have completed prerequisite courses and demonstrate a strong understanding of math, science, and engineering principles.

3. Will I have to take additional courses to bridge the gap between physics and engineering?

It depends on the specific engineering program and your background in physics. Some programs may require you to take additional courses to bridge the gap, while others may have a more seamless transition. It is important to research the specific program and its requirements before applying.

4. What career opportunities are available for someone with a physics major and engineering masters?

Having both a physics major and an engineering masters can open up a variety of career opportunities in fields such as aerospace, defense, renewable energy, and telecommunications. With a strong foundation in both fundamental principles and applied problem-solving skills, you may also be well-suited for roles in research and development, consulting, and management.

5. Can I specialize in a specific engineering field with a physics major and engineering masters?

Yes, many engineering programs offer specializations or concentrations within a specific field, such as mechanical, electrical, or chemical engineering. With a background in physics, you may also have the opportunity to pursue more niche fields such as nuclear engineering or materials science.