What Other Alternative 'Theories' Could High School Teachers Teach?

• Thread starter Chi Meson
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the ruling in Pennsylvania on the teaching of alternative theories to evolution and the potential for teaching other alternative theories in high school. Some examples mentioned include the Ptolemaic model of the solar system, the belief in a giant turtle holding up the Earth, and various pseudoscientific theories such as phrenology and the stork theory. The conversation also mentions the humorous idea of teaching about the Penguin Super-Counsel located in Antarctica and the possibility of teaching hollow earth theory.
Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
THe ruling in PA on the teaching of an alternative "theory" to evolution hinged in part on the notion that it would open up the possibility of teaching astrology as an alternative to teaching astronomy.

I wondered, what are some other "Theories" we High School Teachers could teach to give the students a chance to "decide" which alternative they like better.

I'm semi-serious here, since I want to have a nice list I can turn to whenever the "it's just a theory" line comes up.

The Ptolemaic model of the solar system is the obvious first choice,

The turtle that holds up the Earth is another good one (and the turtle that holds up that turtle and so on, and so on..."turtles all the way down")

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a nice History of Science site that mentions a number of examples. You're probably already familiar with most or all of them, but they're nicely compiled in one place here.
http://biology.clc.uc.edu/courses/bio104/hist_sci.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
In government, they need to teach the facts as it pertains to the Penguin Super-Counsul located in Antarctica and how it runs western civilization.

Pengwuino said:
In government, they need to teach the facts as it pertains to the Penguin Super-Counsul located in Antarctica and how it runs western civilization.
But I thought the PSCA was just a rumor! No one actually believes it, do they?

Oh, and thanks for the site, Moonbear. Very mice of you.

Phrenology, Palmistry, and Humors.

Let's not forget the stork theory instead of evil sex education.

Coming soon to a Kansas near you... :uhh:

zoobyshoe said:
Phrenology, Palmistry, and Humors.
Phrenology! That's perfect!

hypnagogue said:
Phlogiston theory
You got to love the pseudo-scientific texture of the word and it's forms:

“Phlogisticated” substances are those that contain phlogiston and, on being burned, are“dephlogisticated.”

Danger said:
Let's not forget the stork theory instead of evil sex education.

I read that as "Let's not forget the fork theory instead of evil sex education." and instinctively closed my legs...:grumpy: :grumpy:

1. What is ID and how does it differ from other alternative theories?

ID, or Intelligent Design, is a theory that suggests that certain features of the universe and living things are best explained by an intelligent cause rather than natural processes. It differs from other alternative theories, such as evolution, in that it focuses on the idea of an intelligent designer rather than solely on natural selection and random mutations.

2. Is ID considered a scientific theory?

This is a highly debated question among the scientific community. While some proponents of ID argue that it is a scientific theory, the majority of scientists do not consider it to be so. This is because ID lacks empirical evidence and cannot be tested through the scientific method.

3. How has the scientific community responded to ID?

The scientific community has generally rejected the ideas of ID, as it goes against the principles of scientific inquiry. In 2005, a federal judge in the United States ruled that teaching ID in public schools was unconstitutional, as it was not a scientific theory and had religious connotations.

4. Can ID and evolution coexist?

Many proponents of ID argue that it is compatible with evolution, as they believe that evolution can only explain certain aspects of life and that an intelligent designer is responsible for the more complex features. However, this is not a widely accepted view among the scientific community, as it goes against the principles of evolution and natural selection.

5. How does ID explain the existence of complexity in the universe?

ID suggests that complexity in the universe is a result of an intelligent designer. Proponents of ID argue that certain features of living organisms, such as the eye or the human brain, are too complex to have evolved through natural processes and must have been designed by an intelligent being. However, this is a controversial claim and is not supported by scientific evidence.