Two functions in two variables

In summary, the conversation is about finding functions f_1(n) and f_2(n) in terms of n for given corresponding values of a and b, where a_n = 2a_{n-1} + b_{n-1} and b_n = b_{n-1} + a_n. The conversation includes a suggestion to use linear algebra and a Markov chain problem to solve the equations, as well as a mention of needing initial values for both a and b. The final response expresses frustration with the result found and indicates that the series may not be what the person is looking for.
jeffceth
Sorry, I don't know what category to put this in.

Here's my problem:

I have some corresponding values for two variables a and b.

I also know that
[tex]a_n = 2a_{n-1} + b_{n-1}[/tex]
and
[tex]b_n = b_{n-1} + a_n[/tex]
for all a and b.

I need to find functions [tex]f_1[/tex] and [tex]f_2[/tex] in terms of n so that [tex]f_1(n) = a_n[/tex] and [tex]f_2(n) = b_n[/tex]

I don't really know where to start. I tried recombining the first two equations in myriad ways but I didn't get anywhere there. I have figured out that this would be pretty tough without the sample values to generate the others, and that the answers will be in general form because n = 1 could refer to any of the pairs of values, although all of them can be generated from a single pair. What do I do?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why not start by telling us your sample values?

One way to do this problem if you know linear algebra is to express the equations a_n and b_n each in terms of a_(n-1) and b_(n-1). This is then a simple Markov chain problem. Luckily the matrix you get is diagonalizable, so its powers will yield an easy algebraic expression.

Last edited:
Sorry, should have included that. my sample values are:
a = 1 when b =1 and a = 3 when b = 4(I know the second is unneccessary). The entire sequence can be generated from these values, though this point is not neccessarily n = 1. This is why the answer should be in general form.

1) [tex]a_{n} = 2a_{n-1}+b_{n-1}[/tex]
2) [tex]b_{n} = b_{n-1} + a_{n}[/tex]

2) => [tex]a_{n} = b_{n}-b_{n-1}[/tex]

Put that into 1 to get

[tex]b_{n}-b_{n-1} = 2a_{n-1}+b_{n-1}[/tex]
3) [tex]b_{n} = 2(a_{n-1}+b_{n-1})[/tex]

2) => [tex]a_{n-1} = b_{n-1}-b_{n-2}[/tex]

3) => [tex]b_{n} = 2(b_{n-1}-b_{n-2}+b_{n-1}) = 4b_{n-1}-2b_{n-2}[/tex]

You need 2 initial values for b, one you're given, the other you generate from your initial condition on a. Now you can just use the equation for b and equation 2 to get a's equation, which will also need 2 initial values, one you're given, the other you get from b's initial value.

The general equation looks irritating to work out by hand, involving a lot of sqrt 2 and large expressions, unless my calculator is missing a major simplification somewhere.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help!(I really should have seen that. It must be getting too late) Unfortunately the nature of the answer shows this series is not what I am looking for. I'll keep trying!

Unfortunately the nature of the answer shows this series is not what I am looking for
What do you mean?

1. What is the definition of a function in two variables?

A function in two variables is a mathematical relationship between two quantities, where each input value (x) corresponds to a unique output value (y). This means that for every value of x, there is only one possible value of y.

2. How do you graph a function in two variables?

To graph a function in two variables, you will need to plot the points (x,y) on a coordinate plane. The x-axis represents the input values and the y-axis represents the output values. Once you have plotted enough points, you can connect them to form a line or curve, depending on the type of function.

3. What is the difference between a linear and a non-linear function in two variables?

A linear function in two variables has a constant rate of change, meaning that the output (y) changes by the same amount for every change in the input (x). On the other hand, a non-linear function does not have a constant rate of change and can take on various shapes such as curves or exponential growth.

4. How can you determine the domain and range of a function in two variables?

The domain of a function in two variables is the set of all possible input values (x) that the function can take. To determine the domain, you will need to look for any restrictions on the input values, such as division by zero or taking the square root of a negative number. The range of a function is the set of all possible output values (y) that the function can produce. To determine the range, you can look at the graph of the function or use algebraic techniques to find the minimum and maximum values.

5. How can you use a function in two variables to solve real-life problems?

Functions in two variables can be used to model and solve real-life problems involving two quantities that are related to each other. For example, you can use a function to determine the distance traveled by a car at a given speed and time, or the amount of money earned based on the number of hours worked and hourly wage. By understanding the relationship between the variables and using algebraic techniques, functions in two variables can be powerful tools for solving real-life problems.