What is the potential difference across the capacitor at time t=0?

• Thread starter WayneTie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary: It is just stored energy. In summary, the conversation is about two physics problems. The first problem involves a switch, current, and the calculation of charge and potential energy of a capacitor. The second problem involves a capacitor with two plates and the addition of a dielectric. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding missed lessons and seeking help in order to avoid blindly copying information.
WayneTie
Hi, I don't get how to do this at all because I missed the lesson so could someone please help me? I appreciate it a lot!

First problem:

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/9403/physics8tl.jpg [Broken]

a) if the switch closes, what is i1? i1 is current at that position

b) graph v2 versus t graph

c) after a long time, if the switch opens, what is i2?

d) calculate Q (charge) of the capacitor

e) calculate U (potential energy) of the capacitor

Second problem:

There is a capacitor with two plates with very large surface area. They are set d distance apart and have equal but opposite charge densities.

a) diagram the current through the plates (no idea how to do this).

b) If a dielectric is added, does the electric potential increase, decrease, or stay the same? What mechanism causes this effect? (I think it goes down because of the q=cv formula but i don't know what mechanism).

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I honestly don't know how much you know and how much you don't know due to this 'missed lesson'. If you missed a lesson, you should get some sort of help or read up on your own. You would just be copying blindly otherwise.

Indicated current (I) flows from + side of battery, along the wires, to the - side of the battery. At a capacitor, the + charges accumulate on the + plate, and the E-field from them chases (the same number of) charges off the - plate.

As the current flows through a resistor, charges lose PE (friction-dominated), according to dV = I R .

Now, at time t=0, what is the potential difference across the capacitor?

question 2 part a : there is an E-field between the plates, but NO current.

What are the two main electricity problems?

The two main electricity problems are power outages and high energy costs.

What causes power outages?

Power outages can be caused by a variety of factors, including severe weather, equipment failure, and human error.

How can power outages be prevented?

Power outages can be prevented by regularly maintaining and upgrading electrical infrastructure, implementing smart grid technology, and promoting energy conservation.

What factors contribute to high energy costs?

High energy costs can be caused by a number of factors, including limited energy resources, government regulations, and supply and demand.

What can individuals do to reduce their energy costs?

Individuals can reduce their energy costs by using energy-efficient appliances, turning off lights and electronics when not in use, and choosing renewable energy sources.