Exploring Electron Energy Levels in a Mercury Atom

In summary, the diagram shows the energy levels of an electron in a mercury atom, with level Q being the lowest possible energy level. A line spectrum results from an atom with such energy levels. The energy change in joules when an electron moves from level P to level Q is calculated to be -7.84 x 10^-19 J, and the wavelength of the spectral line associated with this transition is determined to be -2.54 x 10^-7 m. If a moving electron of energy 7.0 eV collides with an isolated mercury atom in the ground state, the mercury atom would be excited. With a photon of energy 7.0 eV incident on the atom, all the energy would be absorbed
Spruance
The diagram shows some of the energy levels of an electron in a mercury atom. Level Q represents the lowest possible energy level.

bilde.png

(a)Explain why a line spectrum results from an atom with such energy levels.

(b) Calculate the energy change in joules when the electron moves from level P to level Q and determine the wavelength of the spectral line associated with this transition.

(c)Explain what is likely to happen if a moving electron of energy 7.0eV collides with an isolated mercury atom in the ground state.

(d)Explain what is likely to happen if a photon, also of energy 7.0eV were to be incident on the atom.

Planck’s constant = 6.6 x 10-34 Js,
speed of light = 3.0 x 108m/s,
charge on an electron = 1.6 x 10 -19 C

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I have at least tried to solve b)

-10,4 - (-5,5) = -4,9 eV = -7,84 * 10^-19J

f = E/h = (- 7.84 * 10^-19)/(6.63 * 10^-34) = - 1.18 * 10^15

lamba = (3 * 10^8)/(-1.18 * 10^15) = - 2.54 * 10^-7

Have I done something wrong?

Spruance said:
I have at least tried to solve b)

-10,4 - (-5,5) = -4,9 eV = -7,84 * 10^-19J

f = E/h = (- 7.84 * 10^-19)/(6.63 * 10^-34) = - 1.18 * 10^15

lamba = (3 * 10^8)/(-1.18 * 10^15) = - 2.54 * 10^-7

Nope, this looks correct to me.

~H

Hi

1) is not that important, I can always find some information on internet on it.

However, I didn't find any information in my textbook on c) and d). Anyone able (wanting? ...) to help me out?

Last edited:
Think in terms of 'if the electron / photon collides with an electron from a mercury nucleous'. With electron-electron collisions, the collision can either be elastic or inelastic. With a photon, all the energy is always absorbed by the electron. What happens if an electron gains energy?

~H

I'm not completely sure

Spruance said:
I'm not completely sure

Think about energy levels, excitation...

~H

I believe that the mercury atom would be excitated if it collides with a moving electron.

Spruance said:
I believe that the mercury atom would be excitated if it collides with a moving electron.

You would need to consider the energy of the electron, in relation to the energy levels of the mercury atom.

~H

I don't think the mercury atom would be ionized

Spruance said:
I don't think the mercury atom would be ionized

No it wouldn't, what I'm getting at is you should make reference to the energy of the electron / photon in your asnwer and compare it to the energy levels. Excitation is a key word you should use.

~H

10.4 - 7 = 3.4 eV

Spruance said:
10.4 - 7 = 3.4 eV

Correct, so it would be excited to the -3.7eV energy level.

~H

Thanks

What would then happen in d?

As, I stated previously;

Hootenanny said:
With a photon, all the energy is always absorbed by the electron. What happens if an electron gains energy?

~H

1. What is an electron energy level?

An electron energy level is a measure of the amount of energy an electron has within an atom. It is also known as an electron shell and is represented by a number (1, 2, 3, etc.) or a letter (K, L, M, etc.).

2. How are electron energy levels organized in a mercury atom?

In a mercury atom, the electrons are organized into seven energy levels, labeled 1s, 2s, 2p, 3s, 3p, 3d, and 4s. The first energy level (1s) can hold a maximum of 2 electrons, the second energy level (2s and 2p) can hold a maximum of 8 electrons, the third energy level (3s, 3p, and 3d) can hold a maximum of 18 electrons, and the fourth energy level (4s) can hold a maximum of 2 electrons.

3. How do electrons move between energy levels?

Electrons can move between energy levels by absorbing or emitting energy in the form of photons. When an electron absorbs energy, it moves to a higher energy level. When it emits energy, it moves to a lower energy level. This process is known as electron transition.

4. What is the significance of electron energy levels in chemistry?

Electron energy levels play a crucial role in determining the chemical properties of an element. The number of electrons in the outermost energy level, known as the valence electrons, determines an element's reactivity and bonding behavior. This is why elements in the same group on the periodic table have similar chemical properties.

5. How does the arrangement of electron energy levels affect the color of mercury?

The arrangement of electron energy levels in mercury determines the amount of energy needed for electrons to transition between these levels. When electrons absorb energy and move to higher energy levels, they release this energy in the form of light. The specific energy levels involved in the transition determine the wavelength of light emitted, and therefore, the color of mercury. In the case of mercury, the transitions involve ultraviolet light, so the color we see is a combination of all the colors in the visible spectrum, which appears as a bluish-white color.