Does the equation E=mc2 prove that energy and mass are equivalent?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy and mass equivalence as described by Einstein's famous equation, E=mc². It also touches on the idea of a photon having both energy and mass, and the distinction between proper mass and relativistic mass. The experts advise against using the term "mass" in relativistic physics without being clear on the type of mass being referred to.
DavidF
Please excuse my ignorance re. this subject. I know that there will be an obvious answer to this question (and that it has probably been asked a thousand time before) - apologies in advance.

Question is concerning e=mc2

As I understand it, the essence of this equation is that energy and mass are equivalent. In Einstein's own words: "It followed from the special theory of relativity that mass and energy are both but different manifestations of the same thing -- a somewhat unfamilar conception for the average mind. Furthermore, the equation E is equal to m c-squared, in which energy is put equal to mass, multiplied by the square of the velocity of light, showed that very small amounts of mass may be converted into a very large amount of energy and vice versa. The mass and energy were in fact equivalent, according to the formula mentioned before. This was demonstrated by Cockcroft and Walton in 1932, experimentally."

I also understand from previous reading that as an object (with mass) accelerates towards c it takes more and more energy until it requires an infinite amount of energy for any mass to travel at c.

So, if a photon has energy, then according to e m equivalence it must have mass - but it takes an infinite amount of energy for a body with mass to travel at c - which is obviously the definition of a phot.

Please help me understand.

Again, I am sorry for this stumbling question.

Cheers

D

Physics news on Phys.org
The Einstein's equation is right for inert particle only. Yet a photon has a kinetic energy only, so a nil energy at pause.
The complete equation is E²=m²c4+p²v²

Cheers...knew it would be straight forward...

The hermit said:

Correcton: [itex]E^2 = m^2 c^4 + p^2 c^2[/itex]

or as I prefer to write it, [itex]E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2[/itex]

to reflect more clearly that [itex]mc^2[/itex] and [itex]pc[/itex] both have units of energy.

DavidF said:
Please excuse my ignorance re. this subject. I know that there will be an obvious answer to this question (and that it has probably been asked a thousand time before) - apologies in advance.

Question is concerning e=mc2

As I understand it, the essence of this equation is that energy and mass are equivalent. In Einstein's own words: "It followed from the special theory of relativity that mass and energy are both but different manifestations of the same thing -- a somewhat unfamilar conception for the average mind. Furthermore, the equation E is equal to m c-squared, in which energy is put equal to mass, multiplied by the square of the velocity of light, showed that very small amounts of mass may be converted into a very large amount of energy and vice versa. The mass and energy were in fact equivalent, according to the formula mentioned before. This was demonstrated by Cockcroft and Walton in 1932, experimentally."

I also understand from previous reading that as an object (with mass) accelerates towards c it takes more and more energy until it requires an infinite amount of energy for any mass to travel at c.

So, if a photon has energy, then according to e m equivalence it must have mass - but it takes an infinite amount of energy for a body with mass to travel at c - which is obviously the definition of a phot.

Please help me understand.

Again, I am sorry for this stumbling question.

Cheers

D
Once again we're set back to the question which must be asked a priori before an answer can be given to your question. If by "mass" you are referring to "proper mass" then the proper mass "m" of the photon is zero due to the relationship E^2 - (pc)^2 = [mc^2]^2. Since for a photon E = pc it follows that m = 0. However if by "mass" you mean "relativistic mass" (aka "inertial mass") then yes. The photon has an inertial mass, "m" of m = p/c = E/c^2.

For all the gruesome details please see
http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/mass_paper.pdf

Pete

The hermit said:
That should be: E²=m²c4+p²c²

(jtbell gave a complete correction, but for some reason Latex is not displaying.)

This is why it is not adviced to use the word mass in relativistic physics until you are sure you know what you are talking about. Either say rest mass or inertial mass.

1. What is energy mass equivalence?

Energy mass equivalence is a scientific concept that states that energy and mass are two forms of the same thing and can be converted into each other through the famous equation E=mc^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light.

2. How was the concept of energy mass equivalence discovered?

The concept of energy mass equivalence was first proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 in his theory of special relativity. He realized that the speed of light is a constant and that energy and mass are interchangeable.

3. What are some examples of energy mass equivalence in action?

One of the most famous examples of energy mass equivalence is the nuclear reaction in which a small amount of mass is converted into a large amount of energy, as seen in nuclear power plants and nuclear weapons. Another example is the conversion of mass into energy during nuclear fusion reactions in stars, including our Sun.

4. Can energy mass equivalence be observed in our daily lives?

Yes, energy mass equivalence is observed in our daily lives in various forms. For example, when you turn on a light bulb, the electrical energy is converted into light and heat energy. Similarly, when you burn fuel in a car, the chemical energy is converted into heat and kinetic energy.

5. How does energy mass equivalence impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of energy mass equivalence has revolutionized our understanding of the universe, particularly in the field of nuclear physics. It has also led to the development of nuclear energy and nuclear weapons. Additionally, it has helped scientists understand the origins and workings of the universe, including the creation of stars and galaxies.