Solubility and Net Ionic Equations for Chlorides and Iodides

• Thread starter ldixon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionic Net
In summary: Yes, the definitely are in Chemistry.:smile:Actually according to my chemistry professor My answer was correct, becasue the Cl2(g) is not aqueous so the chloides do not cancel out.
ldixon
Ok here is the problem:
2NaI (aq) + Cl2 (g) ----- 2NaCl (aq) + I2 (s)

For the net ionic I got:
2I- (aq) + Cl2 (g) ------- 2Cl- (aq) + I2 (s)

Is this correct? Most chlorides and iodides are soluble, but one states (g) and the other states (s) so does that mean they are not soluble?

Physics news on Phys.org
Im pretty sure that it is just 2Na + Cl_2 ------> 2NaCl because the Iodine ions are the spectators.

Please someone can you clairify this problem for me? I don't think Stevedye56 is correct on this?

You are right, Stevedye56 is wrong. Note that while most chloriDes are soluble, chloriNe is not (well, it is soluble to some extent, but you may assume here it is not). Same goes for iodiNe and iodiDes.

Borek said:
You are right, Stevedye56 is wrong. Note that while most chloriDes are soluble, chloriNe is not (well, it is soluble to some extent, but you may assume here it is not). Same goes for iodiNe and iodiDes.

Borek
--
General Chemistry Software
www.pH-meter.info

Ah sorry about that, for some reason the past week i have not been reading things right even for simple problems in chemistry. Sorry again about any confusion i may have caused.

Net ionic equations only involve ions that are (aq) on one side of the equation and a different form on the other side, i.e. (s),(l),(g). For example, your Na+ is dissolved on both sides. It never comes out of solution, so it just stays as ionic Na+.

However, this doesn't mean that nothing has changed about the Na+. If you filtered out the I2(s) and then distilled the salt, you would be left with NaCl, not NaI.

dtx said:
However, this doesn't mean that nothing has changed about the Na+. If you filtered out the I2(s) and then distilled the salt, you would be left with NaCl, not NaI.

How does it change Na+? :wink:

ldixon said:
Ok here is the problem:
2NaI (aq) + Cl2 (g) ----- 2NaCl (aq) + I2 (s)

For the net ionic I got:
2I- (aq) + Cl2 (g) ------- 2Cl- (aq) + I2 (s)

Is this correct? Most chlorides and iodides are soluble, but one states (g) and the other states (s) so does that mean they are not soluble?

answer should be

2I- --- 2I (s) because the Chloride cancel out (they're spectator ions)

correct me if I am wrong

cheechnchong said:
answer should be

2I- --- 2I (s) because the Chloride cancel out (they're spectator ions)

correct me if I am wrong

Dont you mean I_2. They both would cancel it comes down to the solubility rules. The higher one always prevails

Stevedye56 said:
Dont you mean I_2. They both would cancel it comes down to the solubility rules. The higher one always prevails

my bad haha i didn't notice typing that out :redface:

cheechnchong said:
my bad haha i didn't notice typing that out :redface:

Didnt mean any offense i just wasnt sure if you mistyped o:) :wink:

Stevedye56 said:
Didnt mean any offense i just wasnt sure if you mistyped o:) :wink:

it's no problem...exact answers are key haha

cheechnchong said:
it's no problem...exact answers are key haha

Yes, the definitely are in Chemistry.:smile:

Actually according to my chemistry professor My answer was correct, becasue the Cl2(g) is not aqueous so the chloides do not cancel out. Thanks Borek for the correct answer.

1. What is a net ionic equation?

A net ionic equation is a chemical equation that shows only the species that are involved in a chemical reaction and their respective charges. It eliminates spectator ions, which are ions that do not participate in the reaction, to focus on the essential components of the reaction.

2. How do you write a net ionic equation?

To write a net ionic equation, first write the balanced molecular equation for the reaction. Then, identify and eliminate the spectator ions by crossing them out. The remaining ions and compounds are the ones involved in the reaction and should be included in the net ionic equation.

3. What is the purpose of writing a net ionic equation?

The purpose of writing a net ionic equation is to show only the essential components of a chemical reaction. This allows for a clearer understanding of the reaction and helps to identify the reactants and products involved. It also helps to determine the actual substances that are undergoing a chemical change.

4. Can a net ionic equation be used to predict products?

No, a net ionic equation only shows the reactants and products of a chemical reaction that are involved in the actual reaction. It cannot be used to predict the products of a reaction as it does not take into account any other factors such as temperature, pressure, or concentration.

5. How is a net ionic equation different from a complete ionic equation?

A complete ionic equation includes all the ions, both reactants and products, that are present in a reaction. A net ionic equation, on the other hand, eliminates the spectator ions to focus only on the essential components of the reaction. This results in a more simplified and concise equation that highlights the actual substances undergoing a chemical change.