Using Gauss (Divergence) theorem to find charge distribution on a conductor

In summary, the conversation is about using Gauss's theorem and his law to prove three statements: 1) The charge on a conductor is on the surface, 2) A closed hollow conductor shields its interior from fields due to charges outside, but not its outside from fields due to charges inside, and 3) The field at the surface is normal to the surface and of magnitude (charge density)/epsilon0. The person is struggling to provide a mathematical reason for the first two statements and is asking for help with using Gauss's law.
Alvine
Hi, I hope this is advanced enough to warrant being in this section:

I'm supposed to use the Gauss theorem (and presumably his law) to show:

1)The charge on a conductor is on the surface.
2)A closed hollow conductor shields its interior from fields due to charges outside, but doesn't shield its outside from fields due to charges placed inside it.
3)The field at the surface is normal to the surface and of magnitude (charge density)/epsilon0

I'm aware of the qualitative justifications but can't see how to do it this way. Can someone bail me out?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alvine said:
I'm aware of the qualitative justifications but can't see how to do it this way. Can someone bail me out?

Hi and welcome to the forums Alvine.

What have you done with the problem? Do you have any thoughts/ideas on how to answer it? Homework helpers will not assist with any questions until you've shown your own effort on the problem.

Well I can do the last bit, but the other two I have no idea how to provide a mathematical reason for, all I can come up with is some hand-waving nonsense about equilibrium.

Alvine said:
Well I can do the last bit, but the other two I have no idea how to provide a mathematical reason for, all I can come up with is some hand-waving nonsense about equilibrium.

The question hints about Gauss's law. Do you know what Gauss's law is? If not, read it up and understand what it says. Then, make an attempt to apply it to this question. If you're stuck somewhere, post that bit here and people will be glad to assist.

1. What is the Gauss (Divergence) theorem?

The Gauss (Divergence) theorem, also known as Gauss's law, is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that relates the flow of electric field through a closed surface to the charge enclosed within that surface. It states that the flux of the electric field through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space.

2. How is the Gauss (Divergence) theorem used to find charge distribution on a conductor?

The Gauss (Divergence) theorem is used to find the charge distribution on a conductor by considering the conductor as a closed surface. The electric field inside the conductor is zero, so the flux through the surface is also zero. This means that the total charge enclosed within the surface must also be zero. By solving for the charge distribution on the surface, we can determine the charge distribution on the conductor.

3. What is the significance of using the Gauss (Divergence) theorem to find charge distribution on a conductor?

The significance of using the Gauss (Divergence) theorem to find charge distribution on a conductor is that it allows us to determine the charge distribution on a conductor without having to directly measure or calculate each individual charge. This makes the process more efficient and accurate.

4. What are the assumptions made when using the Gauss (Divergence) theorem to find charge distribution on a conductor?

There are a few assumptions made when using the Gauss (Divergence) theorem to find charge distribution on a conductor. These include assuming that the conductor is a perfect conductor, that the electric field inside the conductor is zero, and that the surface being considered is a closed surface.

5. Can the Gauss (Divergence) theorem be used for any shape of conductor?

Yes, the Gauss (Divergence) theorem can be used for any shape of conductor as long as the conductor is a perfect conductor and the electric field inside the conductor is zero. However, the calculations may be more complicated for more complex shapes of conductors and may require advanced mathematical techniques.