Preparing for the Euclid Contest: Tips and Resources for Canadian Students

• Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Contest
In summary, the conversation is about the Euclid math contest and how difficult it is, with participants looking for suggestions and resources for practice. One person mentions purchasing a book, but others suggest looking for cheaper options such as libraries or online resources. The difficulty of the contest is discussed, with some finding it impossibly hard and others preparing for it.
Werg22
I am taking the Euclid contest and I have to say, from what I've seen the last two numbers or so tend to be impossibly hard. I've looked at a few solutions and I will tell myself "I would have never thought of that in a million years." Anyway, this thread is for people taking the contest. Any suggestion for practice? I have purchased Problems Problems Problems vol 3 from Waterloo's website, but aside of that, I don't have much.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
larson: Problem Solving.

Hehe... I'm afraid that's a bit out of budget :biggrin: Anything cheaper?

Don't you have a library nearby? There is a copy somewhere on the net in case you're in desperate need of it.

I know, I am writting the Euclid contest too and find it IMPOSSIBLY HARD. I find the two last questions in particular practically IMPOSSIBLE and the solutions take like TWO pages to write. Did you (werg 22) ever get to practice the April 2005 Euclid COntest?? Because if u did can u explain me the last question, i didnt even understand the solution.

Hey sine do you have msn? If so PM it to me.

Eeek... I wrote the Fermat this year, which I found much harder than Cayley. In fact, I got my worse score on it.

Euclid is going to be very different. First, I think I'm going to prepare. 2 1/2 hours for 10 questions... I guess we're getting into real math.

1. What is the Euclid Contest?

The Euclid Contest is an annual math competition for high school students in Canada. It is organized by the University of Waterloo and is designed to test students' problem-solving skills and mathematical knowledge.

2. Who can participate in the Euclid Contest?

Any high school student in Canada can participate in the Euclid Contest. However, students must be registered by their school and can only take the contest at their own school.

3. How is the Euclid Contest structured?

The Euclid Contest consists of multiple-choice and open-ended questions in various areas of mathematics, such as algebra, geometry, and number theory. Students have 2.5 hours to complete the contest, and calculators are not allowed.

4. What are the benefits of participating in the Euclid Contest?

Participating in the Euclid Contest allows students to challenge themselves and showcase their mathematical abilities. It can also help students gain recognition and awards, as well as potentially open up opportunities for scholarships or university admission.

5. How can I prepare for the Euclid Contest?

The best way to prepare for the Euclid Contest is to practice solving challenging math problems and familiarize yourself with the types of questions that may be asked. The University of Waterloo provides past contest papers and solutions for students to use as study materials.