General second order circuit problem - Find V(t) for t > 0

In summary: Finally, you must solve the circuit as a two-mesh circuit with the constraint equation as I explained you before. In the s-domain.In summary, the given circuit can be solved using the s-domain approach. By using the initial conditions and applying Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) at V1, a new equation can be obtained. The initial conditions can be found by using the relationships between Vc1 and Vc2, and taking into account the current through the circuit. Then, the circuit can be simplified to a two-mesh circuit and solved using Cramer's rule in the s-domain.
VinnyCee

Homework Statement

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/2781/chapter8problem55oy6.jpg

For the circuit above, find [itex]v(t)[/itex] for [itex]t\,>\,0[/itex].

Assume that [itex]v\left(0^+\right)\,=\,4\,V[/itex] and [itex]i\left(0^+\right)\,=\,2\,A[/itex].

Homework Equations

[tex]i_c\,=\,C\,\frac{d\,v_c}{dt}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I made a new diagram:

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/4142/chapter8problem55part2zm4.jpg

[tex]i_1\,=\,C_1\,\frac{d\,V_{C_1}}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]i_2\,=\,\frac{V_1\,-\,V_2}{2\,\Omega}[/tex]

[tex]i\,=\,C_2\,\frac{d\,V_{C_2}}{dt}[/tex]

KCL @ [itex]V_1[/itex]) [tex]i_1\,+\,\frac{i}{4}\,-\,i_2\,=\,0[/tex][tex]C_1\,\frac{d\,V_{C_1}}{dt}\,+\,\frac{C_2}{4}\,\frac{d\,V_{C_2}}{dt}\,-\,\frac{V_1\,-\,V_2}{2\,\Omega}\,=\,0[/tex][tex]0.2\,\frac{d\,V_{C_1}}{dt}\,+\,0.25\frac{d\,V_{C_2}}{dt}\,-\,V_1\,+\,V_2\,=\,0[/tex]
KCL @ [itex]V_2[/itex]) [tex]i\,+\,i_2\,=\,0[/tex][tex]C_2\,\frac{d\,V_{C_2}}{dt}\,+\,\frac{V_1\,-\,V_2}{2\,\Omega}\,=\,0[/tex][tex]\frac{d\,V_{C_2}}{dt}\,+\,V_1\,-\,V_2\,=\,0[/tex][tex]V_2\,=\,\frac{d\,V_{C_2}}{dt}\,+\,V_1[/tex]Now substituting the KCL @ [itex]V_2[/itex] equation into the other equation:[tex]0.2\,\frac{d\,V_{C_1}}{dt}\,+\,1.25\,\frac{d\,V_{C_2}}{dt}\,=\,0[/tex]Here I am stuck. I don't know how to proceed, any hints? I know that I am supposed to get a second order differential equation for the circuit, but where from?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you done circuits in the s-domain? That would make this problem much easier to solve for. It would become a simple two-mesh problem in which you could use Cramer's rule to solve for with the constraint equation for the dependant source. And I am pretty sure it is not going to be a second order differential equation since there is only one reactive element per mesh.

No, I have not done s-domain yet.

I think you need to use your substitution to eliminate one of the unknowns, instead of getting an equation that still has both in it. And then you'll need to make an assumption about the form of the solution, differentiate it and plug it back into solve, and then use the initial conditions for the full form of the final solution. By looking at the circuit, I'd guess the solution is a damped exponential, but it might have other terms...

VinnyCee said:

Homework Statement

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/2781/chapter8problem55oy6.jpg

For the circuit above, find [itex]v(t)[/itex] for [itex]t\,>\,0[/itex].

Assume that [itex]v\left(0^+\right)\,=\,4\,V[/itex] and [itex]i\left(0^+\right)\,=\,2\,A[/itex].

Homework Equations

[tex]i_c\,=\,C\,\frac{d\,v_c}{dt}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I made a new diagram:

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/4142/chapter8problem55part2zm4.jpg

[tex]i_1\,=\,C_1\,\frac{d\,V_{C_1}}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]i_2\,=\,\frac{V_1\,-\,V_2}{2\,\Omega}[/tex]

[tex]i\,=\,C_2\,\frac{d\,V_{C_2}}{dt}[/tex]

KCL @ [itex]V_1[/itex]) [tex]i_1\,+\,\frac{i}{4}\,-\,i_2\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]C_1\,\frac{d\,V_{C_1}}{dt}\,+\,\frac{C_2}{4}\,\frac{d\,V_{C_2}}{dt}\,-\,\frac{V_1\,-\,V_2}{2\,\Omega}\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]0.2\,\frac{d\,V_{C_1}}{dt}\,+\,0.25\frac{d\,V_{C_2}}{dt}\,-\,V_1\,+\,V_2\,=\,0[/tex]

KCL @ [itex]V_2[/itex]) [tex]i\,+\,i_2\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]C_2\,\frac{d\,V_{C_2}}{dt}\,+\,\frac{V_1\,-\,V_2}{2\,\Omega}\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d\,V_{C_2}}{dt}\,+\,V_1\,-\,V_2\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]V_2\,=\,\frac{d\,V_{C_2}}{dt}\,+\,V_1[/tex]

Now substituting the KCL @ [itex]V_2[/itex] equation into the other equation:

[tex]0.2\,\frac{d\,V_{C_1}}{dt}\,+\,1.25\,\frac{d\,V_{C_2}}{dt}\,=\,0[/tex]

Here I am stuck. I don't know how to proceed, any hints? I know that I am supposed to get a second order differential equation for the circuit, but where from?

With the reference senses you used, you have

[tex]i_1\,=\,-C_1\,\frac{d\,V_{C_1}}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]i\,=\,-C_2\,\frac{d\,V_{C_2}}{dt}[/tex]

and [tex]i_2 = -i[/tex]

You can use this with

KCL @ [itex]V_2[/itex]) [tex]i\,+\,i_2\,=\,0[/tex]

to eliminate [tex]i_1[/tex] and [tex]i_2[/tex]

Ne0 said:
Have you done circuits in the s-domain? That would make this problem much easier to solve for. It would become a simple two-mesh problem in which you could use Cramer's rule to solve for with the constraint equation for the dependant source. And I am pretty sure it is not going to be a second order differential equation since there is only one reactive element per mesh.

I'll second to that, s-domain (laplace) will make your life much more easier ;)
Neo, are you a mind-reader or something, was about to say about Cramer's rule as well :biggrin:

Okay, I'll try s-domain.

http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/9269/problem55part3cs4.jpg

[tex]i_c\,=\,\frac{V_1\,-\,0}{\frac{10}{s}}\,=\,\frac{V_1\,s}{10}[/tex]

[tex]i\,=\,\frac{V_1\,-\,0}{\frac{2}{s}\,+2}\,=\,\frac{V_1\,s}{2\,+\,2s}[/tex]

KCL @ [itex]V_1[/itex]:

[tex]-i_c\,-\,\frac{i}{4}\,-\,i\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]-i_c\,-\,\frac{5}{4}\,i\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]-\frac{V_1\,s}{10}\,-\,\frac{5}{4}\,\frac{V_1\,s}{2\,+\,2s}\,=\,0[/tex]

How do I proceed now?

VinnyCee said:
Okay, I'll try s-domain.

http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/9269/problem55part3cs4.jpg

[tex]i_c\,=\,\frac{V_1\,-\,0}{\frac{10}{s}}\,=\,\frac{V_1\,s}{10}[/tex]

[tex]i\,=\,\frac{V_1\,-\,0}{\frac{2}{s}\,+2}\,=\,\frac{V_1\,s}{2\,+\,2s}[/tex]

KCL @ [itex]V_1[/itex]:

[tex]-i_c\,-\,\frac{i}{4}\,-\,i\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]-i_c\,-\,\frac{5}{4}\,i\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]-\frac{V_1\,s}{10}\,-\,\frac{5}{4}\,\frac{V_1\,s}{2\,+\,2s}\,=\,0[/tex]

How do I proceed now?

Since you are looking for a zero input response, you must include the initial conditions in your equation.
Or you can use the hint I gave you in my previous post and solve the problem in the time domain.

Using your hint in a previous post, I obtained a new KCL @ [itex]V_1[/itex] equation:

[tex]i_1\,-\,\frac{5}{4}\,i\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]-C_1\,\frac{dV_{c1}}{dt}\,-\,\frac{5}{4}\,C_2\,\frac{dV_{c2}}{dt}\,=\,0[/tex]

How do I get initial conditions and how to finally solve?

VinnyCee said:
Using your hint in a previous post, I obtained a new KCL @ [itex]V_1[/itex] equation:

[tex]i_1\,-\,\frac{5}{4}\,i\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]-C_1\,\frac{dV_{c1}}{dt}\,-\,\frac{5}{4}\,C_2\,\frac{dV_{c2}}{dt}\,=\,0[/tex]

How do I get initial conditions and how to finally solve?

You must have only one variable.
Remember that
[tex]V_{c1} = V_{c2} - R i = V_{c2} + RC_2\frac{dV_{c2}}{dt}[/tex]
so,

[tex]\frac{dV_{c1}}{dt} = \frac{dV_{c2}}{dt} + RC_2\frac{d^2V_{c1}}{dt^2}[/tex]
For the initial conditions you must have
[tex]V_{c2}(0^+)[/tex] and [tex]\frac{dV_{c2}}{dt}(0^+)[/tex]

[tex]V_{c2} = V_{c1} + R i [/tex]
So, [tex]V_{c2}(0^+) = V_{c1}(0^+) + R i(0^+) = 4 + 2x2 = 8V [/tex]
[tex]\frac{dV_{c2}}{dt} = -\frac{i}{C_2}[/tex]
So, [tex]\frac{dV_{c2}}{dt}(0^+) = -\frac{i}(0^+){C_2} = \frac{2}{0.5} = 4V/s[/tex]

1. What is a second order circuit?

A second order circuit is an electrical circuit that contains two energy storage elements, such as capacitors and inductors. These elements allow the circuit to exhibit second order differential equations, which can be used to analyze the behavior of the circuit.

2. How do I solve a general second order circuit problem?

To solve a general second order circuit problem, you need to use the principles of Kirchhoff's laws, Ohm's law, and the equations for capacitors and inductors. You will also need to apply techniques such as nodal analysis and mesh analysis to determine the voltages and currents in the circuit.

3. What is V(t) in a second order circuit?

V(t) refers to the voltage across a specific element in the circuit at a given time t. It can be calculated using the equations for capacitors and inductors, as well as the values of resistors and current sources in the circuit.

4. Why is it important to find V(t) for t > 0 in a second order circuit?

Finding V(t) for t > 0 allows us to understand the behavior of the circuit over time. It can show us how the voltages and currents change as the circuit reaches a steady state, and can also help us identify any transient effects that may occur.

5. What are some real-world applications of second order circuits?

Second order circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as filters, amplifiers, and oscillators. They are also used in power systems, control systems, and communication systems. Additionally, second order circuits play a crucial role in the design and analysis of electric circuits and electrical networks.