Cant find the equation of thi line

• Thread starter nivisk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary, the person is asking for help finding an equation for a curve represented by a set of points on a graph. They have provided a link to the graph and asked for more information on what kind of graph it is and what the points represent. Another person has suggested using Excel to generate a trendline and another person has provided a possible equation for the curve.
nivisk
urgent..cant find the equation of thi line

this is a home work assig for tomorrow

i have a set of points on a graph...which makes a curve...the points are in huge numbers...it represents the focal length etc please help me...i need to find an equation for that curve...

here is the file with graph
http://files.filefront.com/New_Microsoft_Office_Excetxls/;7447761;/fileinfo.html

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
What? Pretty much nothing you have said here makes sense! How can we help you do anything if we have no idea what curve or what points you are talking about? How does a curve "represent" a number?

sir i will tell you in detail

i have a set of points...

which i plot on a graph...and i get a line which is lil bit curved

the problem is i need to find an equation for this line...

and i don't know which theory or what to do..
please do help

Do you know what kind of graph it's supposed to be? Can you tell us what the points are? Do you know the context in which these points were determined?

Basically, you've given us no information here

Office_Shredder said:
Do you know what kind of graph it's supposed to be? Can you tell us what the points are? Do you know the context in which these points were determined?

Basically, you've given us no information here

i will give you in full detail...i will upload the graph now

here is the graph i have uploaded

http://files.filefront.com/New_Microsoft_Office_Excetxls/;7447761;/fileinfo.html

Could you just list the coords of the points?

From first glance it appears to be some sort of x-r for r some positive number... you can actually get excel to give you a trendline, but the equation isn't nearly as good as one could want. It's actually probably more like 1/(x+k) for some k a constant

Seems quite linear to me, y = -0.000026704286*x+1.5329355 gives deviations of (in absolute value)

This gives an average deviation of 0.001087531, quite a small value.

If you want to get really accurate, the rational function

(6878435.6+633131.5*x)/(1+425906.02*x+(-1.3161499)*x^2)

gives really good results, with an average deviation of 0.00031

Edit; I used Graph, a free and useful program, you can download it at

http://www.padowan.dk/graph/"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What does "finding the equation of a line" mean?

Finding the equation of a line means determining the mathematical equation that represents the relationship between two variables, typically represented as x and y, on a graph. This equation often takes the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

2. Why is it important to find the equation of a line?

Finding the equation of a line allows us to understand and describe the relationship between two variables in a more precise and mathematical way. It also helps us make predictions and solve problems based on the data represented by the line.

3. How do I find the equation of a line?

The equation of a line can be found using various methods, such as using two points on the line and the slope formula, or using the slope and y-intercept given on the graph. You can also use the point-slope formula or perform a linear regression on a set of data points to find the equation of the line.

4. What if I can't find the equation of a line?

If you are unable to find the equation of a line using the methods mentioned above, it is possible that the line may not have a mathematical equation, or that the data provided is not sufficient to determine the equation. In such cases, it is important to carefully analyze the data and consider other factors that may affect the relationship between the variables.

5. Can I use the equation of a line to find other points on the line?

Yes, once you have the equation of a line, you can use it to find other points on the line by plugging in different values of x and solving for y. This allows you to create a table of values or graph the line to better understand its behavior and make predictions.