Is 23 the Most Mysterious Number?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phenomenon
In summary, the conversation discusses the release of the movie The Number 23 and a reprint of a 1977 article from Fortean Times about the significance of the number 23. The speaker also mentions the superstition surrounding the number and jokes about its supposed danger.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
With the release of The Number 23 earlier this year we paid tribute to the late, much lamented Robert Anton Wilson by reprinting this 1977 article from (you guessed it) Fortean Times 23. [conitinued]
http://forteantimes.com/articles/221_twenty-three_1.shtml

First of all, I am sure that The Number 23 was released long ago because I know that I have seen it before in math classes. But beyond that, I do understand this phenomenon: 23 is ten greater than 13, and we have ten fingers, so clearly 23 is a dangerous number. :rolleyes:

Would this be Triskaididekaphobia?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sylvia Browne predicts you'll fry in hell for this one!

No, not another one of these number threads.

1. What is "The 23 Phenomenon"?

"The 23 Phenomenon" is a belief that the number 23 holds a special significance in various aspects of life, such as in mathematics, religion, and pop culture.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support "The 23 Phenomenon"?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support the belief that the number 23 has any special significance or power. It is simply a coincidence that this number may appear frequently in some instances.

3. Why do some people believe in "The 23 Phenomenon"?

People may believe in "The 23 Phenomenon" due to confirmation bias, which is the tendency to notice and remember information that confirms one's beliefs. It may also be a result of apophenia, which is the tendency to see patterns or connections in random data.

4. Are there any risks associated with believing in "The 23 Phenomenon"?

There are no known risks associated with believing in "The 23 Phenomenon". However, it is important to be aware that this belief is not supported by scientific evidence and should not be taken too seriously.

5. Can "The 23 Phenomenon" be explained by mathematics or probability?

Yes, the appearance of the number 23 in various aspects of life can be explained by mathematics and probability. With a large enough sample size, it is likely that the number 23 will appear frequently due to chance alone.

Back