Spinning Object on Flat Surface

In summary, the conversation is about finding the change in angular velocity on an object rotating on a flat plane using a computer simulation. The person is struggling with understanding how to incorporate frictional torque and how to measure it. They are unsure if they need to integrate all the small frictional torques from different particles experiencing friction. A suggestion is made to use frictional torque instead of Ff x r, and the person asks for clarification on how to measure it.
domoarigato
I'm working on a computer simulation, but I'm not sure how to approach this problem. I want to find the change in angular velocity on an object rotating on top of a flat plane.

So far this is what I have:
(* == multiplication not dot product)

Ff x r = I * alpha
Ff x r = I * dv/dt

I can find I, Ff, and dt. I assume Ff x r can be reduced to Ff * r because the friction will always be perpendicular. I don't know what r is though, because the object is flat aren't there a ton of different particles experiencing the Ff? I'm I going to have to integrate all the little Ff x r? I'm pretty lost. Any direction would be wonderful.

Physics news on Phys.org
domoarigato said:
I'm working on a computer simulation, but I'm not sure how to approach this problem. I want to find the change in angular velocity on an object rotating on top of a flat plane.

So far this is what I have:
(* == multiplication not dot product)

Ff x r = I * alpha
Ff x r = I * dv/dt

I can find I, Ff, and dt. I assume Ff x r can be reduced to Ff * r because the friction will always be perpendicular. I don't know what r is though, because the object is flat aren't there a ton of different particles experiencing the Ff? I'm I going to have to integrate all the little Ff x r? I'm pretty lost. Any direction would be wonderful.

Instead of Ff x r, just use frictional torque, which is what Ff x r is. How would you measure Ff anyway?

Thank you very much for your reply.
I think Ff is what is confusing me. I know the friction coeffecient, and I know how to find the normal. How can I find the friction torque? If ForceOfFriction = NormalForce * FrictionCoeffecient, what does the FrictionTorque = ?

What is the concept of "Spinning Object on Flat Surface"?

The concept of "Spinning Object on Flat Surface" refers to the motion of a rotating object on a flat or level surface. This motion is affected by various factors such as the shape and weight of the object, the surface it is spinning on, and the force applied to it.

What are the different types of spinning objects?

There are various types of spinning objects, including tops, wheels, gyroscopes, and fidget spinners. These objects can have different shapes, sizes, and materials, which can affect their spinning motion.

What is the physics behind a spinning object on a flat surface?

The physics behind a spinning object on a flat surface involves the principles of angular momentum, torque, and friction. Angular momentum is the measure of an object's rotational motion, while torque is the force that causes the object to rotate. Friction plays a role in slowing down the spinning motion of the object.

How does the surface affect the spinning motion of an object?

The surface on which an object is spinning can affect its motion in various ways. A smooth and level surface can allow for a longer and smoother spinning motion, while a rough or uneven surface can cause the object to wobble or stop spinning altogether. The type of surface can also affect the amount of friction the object experiences, which can impact its spinning speed.

What are some real-life applications of spinning objects on flat surfaces?

The concept of spinning objects on flat surfaces has many practical applications, such as in the design and operation of machinery, toys, and sports equipment. Gyroscopes, which use the principle of spinning objects on flat surfaces, are also used in navigation systems, aircrafts, and satellites.