Did Pascal Conduct the Barrel Experiment?

In summary, the conversation is about whether or not Pascal actually conducted the experiment with the barrel as there is no mention of it in his treaties. The speaker tried the experiment themselves but it was unsuccessful and they are asking if anyone else has tried it. They also mention that they searched for references on Google but did not find any.
hamilton333
Hello, I would like to know if Pascal really made the experiment of the barrel.
I have looked for in his treaties(traitez de liqueurs) but I have not seen any reference to the barrel. Somebody knows if Pascal speaks somewhere of the barrel?
I tried to make the experiment with a tube of 10m but the barrel did not burst. Somebody has made this experiment?
Excuses by my poor English .

Thanks,Alberto

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe your barrel is stronger than Pascal's.
Put "Pascal's barrel" into google for references.

Yes.I think the same.Maybe,the Pascal's barrel was less stronger.In Google I have not found the document of any person who has made it.Either in texts of Pascal.Somebody has seen it?

Sorry for my English from Spain

Alberto

1. Did Pascal actually conduct the barrel experiment?

Yes, Pascal did conduct the barrel experiment. It is a well-documented experiment that he performed in the 17th century to prove his theory on fluid pressure.

2. What was the purpose of Pascal's barrel experiment?

The purpose of Pascal's barrel experiment was to demonstrate that the pressure exerted by a fluid is the same in all directions, regardless of the shape or size of the container.

3. How did Pascal perform the barrel experiment?

Pascal placed a barrel filled with water on top of a tower and inserted a long tube into it. He then observed that the water rose to the same level in all the branches of the tube, regardless of their shape or position. This showed that the pressure exerted by the water was the same in all directions.

4. Was Pascal's barrel experiment successful?

Yes, Pascal's barrel experiment was successful in proving his theory on fluid pressure. It provided evidence that the pressure exerted by a fluid is transmitted equally in all directions, which is known as Pascal's principle.

5. How did Pascal's barrel experiment impact science?

Pascal's barrel experiment had a significant impact on science as it helped to establish the principles of fluid mechanics and laid the foundation for the development of hydraulic machines. It also contributed to the understanding of atmospheric pressure and the invention of the hydraulic press.