What is the magnitude of charge in nC on each bead?

• Thread starter cse63146
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving electricity. The first problem involves calculating the magnitude of the charges on two spheres that are accelerating at 225m/s^2 when placed 2.0 cm apart. The second problem involves using a lightweight spring to measure charge by attaching it to a ceiling and hanging a 1.0 g mass from it, then attaching two small plastic beads with equal charges to the spring and measuring the resulting displacement. The calculations for both problems follow Coulomb's Law and the spring constant, and the final answers are 3 x 10^-9 C and 33 nC, respectively.
cse63146
[SOLVED] A few electricity problems

Homework Statement

1. Two 1.0 g spheres are charged equally and placed 2.0 cm apart. When released, they begin to accelerate at 225m/s^2.

What is the magnitude on each sphere.

2. You have a lightweight spring whose unstretched length is 4.0 cm. You're curious to see if you can use this spring to measure charge. First, you attach one end of the spring to the ceiling and hang a 1.0 g mass from it. This stretches the spring to a length of 5.0 cm. You then attach two small plastic beads to the opposite ends of the spring, lay the spring on a frictionless table, and give each plastic bead the same charge. This stretches the spring to a length of 4.5 cm.

What is the magnitude of the charge (in nC) on each bead?

Homework Equations

1. F=ma => (K)(q^2)/(r^2)

2. F = kx, (K)(q^2)/(r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

1. q = [tex]\sqrt{(r^2)(m)(a)/(r^2)}[/tex]

q = [tex]\sqrt{(0.0001)(225)(0.002^2)/(9x10^9)}[/tex] = 3 x 10 ^-9 C

but it says this is incorrect

First: I calculated the spring constant using the information from the hanging mass part of the question.

F = kx
(0.001 kg)(9.81 m/s^2)= k (0.01 m)
0.981 kg/s^2 = k

Second: Using the spring constant from the previous part I calculated the force needed to push the spring apart when the beads are on either end.

F = kx
F = (0.981 kg/s^2)(0.005 m)
F = 0.004905 kgm/s^2

Third: Using the force from above, and using coulombs law calculate the charges. I know that q1 and q2 are equal, q1 =q2 = q

F = K((q1)(q2))/r^2
0.004905 kgm/s^2 = ((9×10^9 Nm^2/C^2)(q^2)/(0.045 m)^2

q = 3.3 x 10 ^ -8 and now I need to convert it to nC so (3.3 x 10 ^ -8) x (10x9) = 33 nC

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation for #1 looks wrong. Try working it out using more intermediate steps. Your starting equation is correct:

[tex]ma = K \frac{Q^2}{R^2} = \frac{Q^2}{4{\pi}{\epsilon}R^2}[/tex]

cse63146 said:
q = [tex]\sqrt{(0.0001)(225)(0.002^2)/(9x10^9)}[/tex] = 3 x 10 ^-9 C

Should be 0.02

Your methods look correct. Perhaps redo the arithmetic? Since they are mostlly using CGS, why don't you use that to make the numbers easier to handle, and convert afterward?

berkeman said:
Your equation for #1 looks wrong. Try working it out using more intermediate steps. Your starting equation is correct:

[tex]ma = K \frac{Q^2}{R^2} = \frac{Q^2}{4{\pi}{\epsilon}R^2}[/tex]

how do I obtain the value to {\epsilon}?

Shooting star said:
Should be 0.02

Your methods look correct. Perhaps redo the arithmetic? Since they are mostlly using CGS, why don't you use that to make the numbers easier to handle, and convert afterward?

I also made a mistake on converting from g to kg, so 1g should be 0.001kg

so it should be:

q = [tex]\sqrt{(0.001)(225)(0.02^2)/(9x10^9)}[/tex] = 1 x 10 ^-7 C

Correct. But I still recommend that if the values are given mostly in CGS, do the calculation in CGS and convert. Avoid so many decimals, whenever possible. You'll make mistakes in the exam.

It seems easier to me this way.

cse63146 said:
how do I obtain the value to {\epsilon}?

You look it up. It's a physical constant.

1. How do I troubleshoot a power outage?

First, check if your neighbors have also lost power. If they have, it may be a larger outage and you should contact your local electricity provider. If it's just your house, check your circuit breaker or fuse box to see if any breakers have been tripped or fuses blown. If everything seems fine, try unplugging all appliances and then plugging them back in one at a time to see if one is causing the outage. If all else fails, call an electrician.

2. What causes an electrical fire?

Electrical fires can be caused by faulty wiring, overloaded circuits, or damaged electrical appliances. It's important to regularly check your wiring and appliances for any signs of damage and to avoid overloading circuits by using extension cords and power strips responsibly.

3. How do I safely change a light bulb?

First, make sure the light switch is turned off and the bulb has had time to cool down. Use a ladder or step stool to reach the light fixture, and then carefully unscrew the bulb and replace it with a new one. Avoid touching the new bulb with bare hands, as the natural oils on your skin can cause it to burn out faster. Finally, dispose of the old bulb properly.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC electricity?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) refer to the direction in which the electrons flow. AC electricity is used in most household appliances and is constantly changing direction, while DC electricity is used in smaller electronics and flows in one direction. Most homes have both AC and DC electricity, with AC coming from the power grid and DC being converted from AC for use in smaller devices.

5. How can I reduce my electricity bill?

There are a few ways to reduce your electricity bill: turn off lights and unplug appliances when not in use, use energy-efficient light bulbs, and invest in energy-efficient appliances. You can also adjust your thermostat to use less energy and consider installing solar panels to generate your own electricity. It's also important to regularly maintain your home's electrical system to ensure it is running efficiently.