One-Sided Limits - Step by Step Guide

• Thread starter ae4jm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the first one-sided limit \lim_{x\rightarrow\pi^-}\frac{sinx}{1-cosx} is equal to 0 because when approaching from the left, the denominator becomes 0 and the numerator remains finite, resulting in an indeterminate form of 0/0. After simplifying, we can use L'Hopital's rule to get 0/2 which is equal to 0.For the second limit \lim_{x\rightarrow\O^+}xln(x), we also get an indeterminate form of 0/0 when approaching from the right. However, after simplifying and applying L'Hopital's rule, we get a form of 0/1
ae4jm
[SOLVED] One-Sided Limits

Homework Statement

I've been having problems solving for these one-sided limits.

1.[tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\pi^-}\frac{sinx}{1-cosx}[/tex]

2.[tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\O^+}xln(x)[/tex]

3.[tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi}{2}^-}(sec (x)-tan(x))[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved #1 as =0/1 =0

I solved #2 as [tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\O^+}\frac{ln(x)}{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex]

=[tex]\frac{\frac{1}{x}}{1}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{\frac{1}{0}}{1}[/tex]

=0

I solved #3 as [tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi}{2}^-}(sec (x)-tan(x))[/tex]

=[tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi}{2}^-}(\frac{1}{cosx}-\frac{sinx}{cosx})[/tex]

=[tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi}{2}^-}(\frac{1-sinx}{cosx})[/tex] and I solved this down to =[tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi}{2}^-}tan(x)[/tex]

= undefined

I'm missing some steps in these problems. Any help from you is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
ae4jm said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I solved #1 as =0/1 =0
How did you get 0/1? What is cos([itex]\pi[/itex])?

I solved #2 as [tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\O^+}\frac{ln(x)}{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex]

= 0
and why would 1/0 = 0??

I solved #3 as [tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi}{2}^-}(sec (x)-tan(x))[/tex]

=[tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi}{2}^-}(\frac{1}{cosx}-\frac{sinx}{cosx})[/tex]

=[tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi}{2}^-}(\frac{1-sinx}{cosx})[/tex] and I solved this down to =[tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi}{2}^-}tan(x)[/tex]

= undefined
Since you used L'Hopital's rule in #2, why not here?
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \frac{\pi^-}{2}} \frac{1- sin(x)}{cos(x)}= \lim_{x\rightarrow \frac{\pi^-}{2}}\frac{-cos(x)}{sin(x)}[/itex]

I'm missing some steps in these problems. Any help from you is greatly appreciated!
By the way- don't use "stackrel" in that way.
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \frac{\pi^-}{2}}[/tex]
is much easier to read than
[tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi}{2}^-}[/tex]

ae4jm said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I solved #1 as =0/1 =0

=0
And why would 1/0 be 0?

= undefined
Since you used L'Hopital's rule in #2, why not here?
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi^-}{2}}\frac{1- sin x}{cos x}= \lim_{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi^-}2}}\frac{cos x}{sin x}[/tex]
What is that limit?

By the way "stackrel" makes that very hard to read.
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi^-}{2}}[/tex]
is much better than
[tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi}{2}^-}[/tex]
Click on the LaTex to see the code.

#1. I should have gotten 0/2 for #1, because cos(pi)=1 and 0/(1-(-1))=0/2
I thought that 0/(any nymber greater than or less than 0) is equal to 0, but if the fraction was 2/0, there would be an infinite, positive for the limit approaching from the right and negative infinity for numbers approaching from the left?

#2. I reworked through the problem several times and I keep getting (1/0)/1 which is, after going over my notes several times, = to infinity/1 which is = infinity

#3. I got = 0, after following L'Hopital's as you said. I originally -0/1, which would be = 0.

I apologize about the laytex from my previous post. I was unable to check the box for quoting your reply and when I clicked to preview my post on this reply I wasn't seeing any latex images, so I just used the harder to read way of expressing my answers--sorry for not using latex.

EDIT:
Is this what you were trying to get me to understand? That 1/0 in limits is equal to an infinite answer and that 0/1 in limits is equal to 0?

Last edited:
Am I going about the solutions correctly now?

I found my error on problem #2. It should be equal to 0 after rewriting the form of the limit because it was indeterminant. I got it finalized and came up with 0 for the answer to number 2. Thanks HallsofIvy.

1. What are one-sided limits and why are they important in mathematics?

One-sided limits refer to the behavior of a function as the input approaches a specific value from either the left or right side. They are important because they help determine the continuity and existence of a function at a particular point, and can also be used to evaluate the behavior of a function near a discontinuity.

2. How do you calculate one-sided limits?

To calculate a one-sided limit, you need to evaluate the function at values that approach the specified value from the left and right side. This can be done by creating a table of values or by graphing the function. The limit exists if both the left and right-sided limits are equal.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function as the input approaches a specific value from one direction (either the left or right side). A two-sided limit, on the other hand, considers the behavior of a function as the input approaches a specific value from both the left and right sides.

4. Can a one-sided limit exist while the two-sided limit does not?

Yes, it is possible for a one-sided limit to exist while the two-sided limit does not. This occurs when the left and right-sided limits are not equal and the function has a discontinuity at the specified value.

5. How can one-sided limits be used to determine the continuity of a function?

If both the left and right-sided limits exist and are equal, then the function is continuous at that point. However, if the left and right-sided limits do not exist or are not equal, then the function is not continuous at that point.