Blackbody Radiation Problem

In summary, the solar constant measures the energy reaching Earth from the Sun at the top of the atmosphere. Using the Stefan-Boltzmann law and Wein's displacement law, we can determine the equilibrium temperature of Earth if it were to radiate like a blackbody. The key is to accurately calculate the amount of energy the Earth is absorbing from the Sun, which can be done by considering its circular cross section.
FreeAnnyong

Homework Statement

The energy reaching Earth from the Sun at the top of the atmosphere is 1.36x10^3 W/m^2, called the solar constant. Assuming that Earth radiates like a blackbody at uniform temperature, what do you conclude is the equilibrium temperature of Earth?

Homework Equations

Stefan-Boltzmann law: R=[tex]\sigma[/tex]T^4, Wein's displacement law: ([tex]\lambda[/tex]max)T=2.898x10^-3 mK

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the Earth radiates the same amount of energy it takes in if it is acting as a black body, but I am stuck at figuring out how much energy the Earth is actually absorbing from the sun. If I can figure that out I know what to do with the rest of the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you look up the radius of the Earth and assume it absorbs all of the energy that crosses the circular cross section it presents to the sun, wouldn't that do it?

Ah, you're right, I was stupidly using the full surface area of the Earth instead of a cross section.

What is the "Blackbody Radiation Problem"?

The Blackbody Radiation Problem refers to the theoretical challenge of explaining the distribution of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a blackbody, which is an idealized object that absorbs and emits all wavelengths of light with 100% efficiency.

Why is the Blackbody Radiation Problem important?

The Blackbody Radiation Problem is important because it has significant implications in multiple fields of science, such as astrophysics, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. It also played a crucial role in the development of modern physics, leading to the discovery of quantum mechanics and the understanding of the relationship between energy and temperature.

What is the Planck's Law of Blackbody Radiation?

Planck's Law of Blackbody Radiation is a mathematical formula that describes the spectral distribution of energy emitted by a blackbody at a given temperature. It states that the amount of radiation emitted at each wavelength is inversely proportional to the wavelength and follows a specific curve known as the blackbody spectrum.

What is the Ultraviolet Catastrophe?

The Ultraviolet Catastrophe is a term used to describe the theoretical prediction of classical physics that a blackbody at high temperatures would emit an infinite amount of energy at short wavelengths, leading to a catastrophic breakdown of energy conservation laws. This problem was resolved by Max Planck's introduction of the quantum theory of radiation.

How was the Blackbody Radiation Problem solved?

The Blackbody Radiation Problem was solved by Max Planck in 1900, who introduced the concept of quantization of energy and developed the Planck's Law to accurately describe the spectral distribution of energy emitted by a blackbody. This laid the foundation for the development of quantum mechanics and resolved the discrepancies between classical physics and experimental observations.