String stars instead of black holes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of strings in string theory and their potential collapse under extreme conditions. It also explores the idea of a star made of strings and how it would differ from a black hole. Ultimately, the exact appearance and size of such a star is unknown as it is a theoretical concept that has not been extensively studied.
Maniax
Hey guys!
My first post - found this forum filled with lots of smart minds. Maybe you can help me out here. I'm quite the novice, so bear with me, pls :)

Anyways, I read somewhere (scientific american i believe) that strings (if they exist) cannot be crushed, or shrunk anymore than what they are now.

So - when a star collapses heading for a neutron star, matter cracks up and becomes all neutrons. When gravity is strong enough, that might become an even denser quark star (wikipedia). But given more gravity we classically get the black hole. And the, for me, very strange thought of a singularity and infinity.

What if the quarks in the former star collapses to bare strings? And that the collapse stops when the strings are naked and all packed snuggly together?

What would that star look like? Very much like a black hole, i presume - really dense, small, and with a huge gravity for its size. But without the singularity.

Can anyone do the math for a typical size of this star? Given that a string is belived to be around 10 sq -35 m long (and if we assume that the string is a tiny sphere of that diameter and not a 2 dimensional string) and that there is about 10 sq 42 atoms in a star?

What do you say?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! Thank you for posting in this forum and welcome to the scientific community! It's great to see someone with a curious mind and a desire to learn more about the universe.

First of all, let's address the concept of strings. String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to reconcile the theories of general relativity (which describes the behavior of large objects like stars and galaxies) and quantum mechanics (which describes the behavior of subatomic particles). In string theory, it is proposed that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but tiny strings that vibrate at different frequencies, giving rise to the different particles we observe.

Now, to answer your question about whether or not strings can be crushed or shrunk further, the answer is not definitive. In classical physics, strings are considered one-dimensional objects with no thickness, and therefore cannot be crushed or shrunk. However, in string theory, strings are considered to have a small but finite thickness, and it is possible that they could collapse under extreme conditions, such as in the center of a black hole.

As for your question about a star made of strings, it is difficult to say for sure what it would look like as this is still a hypothetical concept. However, it is likely that it would have a similar appearance to a black hole, as both would have a high density and strong gravitational pull. But without a singularity, it would not have the same infinite curvature of space-time that characterizes a black hole.

Unfortunately, I am not able to provide a mathematical calculation for the size of this star as it is not a concept that has been extensively studied or proven. But I encourage you to keep exploring and asking questions – who knows, maybe one day you will be the one to solve this mystery!

Keep up the curiosity and happy exploring!

Hello there! Thank you for your interesting question. I cannot say for certain whether string stars could exist instead of black holes, as it is still a topic of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community. However, I can offer some insights and potential explanations based on current theories and observations.

Firstly, let's clarify some concepts. In physics, strings are one-dimensional objects that are believed to be the fundamental building blocks of the universe. They are incredibly tiny, with a length of around 10^-35 meters, and are thought to vibrate at different frequencies, giving rise to the different particles and forces we observe in the universe. On the other hand, black holes are regions of space with such strong gravitational pull that not even light can escape from them. They are formed when a massive star collapses under its own gravity.

Now, to address your question about whether a star could collapse into a string star instead of a black hole - it is possible, but highly unlikely. This is because the collapse of a star is a highly chaotic and violent process, and it is difficult for strings to remain stable and intact in such extreme conditions. Additionally, the amount of energy required to create a string star is much higher than what is typically found in a collapsing star.

Furthermore, the concept of a singularity, or a point of infinite density, is still a theoretical concept and has not been observed in nature. It is possible that string stars could avoid the formation of a singularity, but it is also possible that they could still have a singularity in their center, just like black holes.

In terms of the appearance of a string star, it would likely look very similar to a black hole, as both have extremely high densities and strong gravitational pull. However, without a singularity, the core of the string star may have a different structure and behavior.

As for the calculations you mentioned, it is difficult to estimate the size of a string star without more information and assumptions. It would also depend on the mass and composition of the star before it collapsed.

In conclusion, while the concept of string stars is intriguing, there is still much research and debate needed to determine their feasibility and characteristics. I hope this helps to answer your question, and feel free to continue exploring and discussing this topic with other scientists. Keep up the curiosity and enthusiasm for science!

1. What exactly is a string star?

A string star is a hypothetical object that is proposed as an alternative to black holes. It is made up of extremely dense strings of energy, rather than a singularity like black holes.

2. How are string stars different from black holes?

String stars differ from black holes in their composition and behavior. While black holes are thought to have a singularity at their center, string stars have a core made up of strings of energy. Additionally, string stars do not have an event horizon like black holes do, and they do not have the same extreme gravitational pull.

3. Can we observe string stars?

At this time, there is no evidence to suggest that string stars actually exist. They are a theoretical concept and have not been observed or detected by astronomers. However, some scientists believe that advanced technology may one day allow us to observe or indirectly detect the presence of string stars.

4. What implications would the existence of string stars have on our understanding of the universe?

If string stars were to be confirmed, it would have major implications on our current understanding of gravity and the behavior of matter in extreme conditions. It could potentially lead to a better understanding of the universe and how it evolved.

5. Are string stars a possible solution to the black hole information paradox?

The black hole information paradox is a theoretical problem in physics that suggests information may be lost when matter falls into a black hole. While string stars are not a proven solution to this paradox, some scientists believe that they may offer a potential explanation for how information can be preserved in extreme gravitational conditions.