Firefox Guinness World Record Attempt

• Thread starter RyanJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Firefox
In summary, Firefox is attempting to set a Guinness World Record for the most downloads of a browser in a 24 hour period.
RyanJ
Has anyone else been following the Firefox Guinness World Record Attempt? I'm going to put my name down just for the sake of it - plus if it goes through there would be an entry in the world record book that I actually contributed too :D

Anyone else interested / heard about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is it? Have you got a link?

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146405/mozilla_shooting_for_record_books_with_firefox_3_release.html

I love firefox, GIVE ME GIVE ME

Gokul43201 said:
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146405/mozilla_shooting_for_record_books_with_firefox_3_release.html

Link above said:
Mozilla also plans to send video footage and photographs of Mozilla users hosting download parties [...].

OK, seriously now, download parties? That sounds completely ridiculous to me, but whatever.

Firefox is an awesome browser though, and I will download it whenever it comes out regardless of some silly "record."

I have signed up and can't wait for version 3. I've been using it for a couple of years now and it is great.

Do you all use the traditional theme, I have downloaded a cool one off their site.

This makes no sense.

I can start my own site and let someone download some VB program I made, and then send my records and proof to Guiness, and I will hold the current title.

I'm not a fan of records like this because whatever the record turns out to be it might have been broken multiple times. It's just a matter of having transcripts, judges, and proofs.

Lame.

JasonRox said:
This makes no sense.

I can start my own site and let someone download some VB program I made, and then send my records and proof to Guiness, and I will hold the current title.
Come back here and say that after you get a million people to download your program in one day.

And after you website has crashed!

What is the "Firefox Guinness World Record Attempt"?

The "Firefox Guinness World Record Attempt" was an event organized by Mozilla, the creators of the Firefox web browser, in 2008. The goal was to set a new record for the most software downloads in a 24-hour period.

When did the "Firefox Guinness World Record Attempt" take place?

The event took place on June 17, 2008, starting at 11:16 am Pacific Daylight Time and ending at 11:16 am PDT on June 18, 2008.

Did the "Firefox Guinness World Record Attempt" achieve its goal?

Yes, the event successfully achieved its goal of setting a new record for the most software downloads in 24 hours. A total of 8,002,530 downloads were recorded during the 24-hour period.

Why did Mozilla organize the "Firefox Guinness World Record Attempt"?

Mozilla organized this event to celebrate the release of their new version of the Firefox web browser, Firefox 3. The attempt also aimed to promote the use of open-source software and to show the strength of the Firefox community.

Did the "Firefox Guinness World Record Attempt" have any impact?

Aside from setting a new record, the event also helped to raise awareness and increase the popularity of the Firefox web browser. It also showed the power and dedication of the Firefox community and their support for open-source software.