Exploring Yukawa Potential with Coupling Constant 0.3

In summary, the Yukawa potential YL[r] is given by gL^2/r * Exp[-μLr(c/ℏ)], where gL is the dimensionless coupling constant.
K.J.Healey
If I had was given a yukawa potential of the form:

[tex]\text{YL}[\text{r$\_$}]=\left(\left.g_L{}^{\wedge}2\right/r\right) \text{Exp}\left[-\mu _Lr (c/\hbar )\right][/tex]

I put the c/h in the exponent to make it unitless, but what do I do about the outside?

i'm given the coupling constant is 0.3. Just 0.3. So should the potential need the units of eV?

So should i then take what I have and multiply it by "c hbar"? Its an inverse length right now, so i figure "ch" = "m eV s/s"
is this right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, the outside of the potential should not be multiplied by anything. The unit of the Yukawa potential (YL) is already in eV. The coupling constant gL is dimensionless, so it has no units associated with it. Therefore, you do not need to multiply anything by cℏ to make it unitless.

Yes, you are correct. In order to make the potential unitless, you need to include the units of c and hbar in the exponent. Since c and hbar have units of meters per second and electron-volts per second, respectively, their product will have units of meters times electron-volts. Therefore, you should multiply the potential by "c hbar" to make it unitless. This will also give you the units of energy, as you correctly stated, in electron-volts. So the final form of the potential would be:

YL[r_] := ((gL^2)/r) Exp[-(muL r c/hbar)]

where gL is the coupling constant and muL is the mass parameter. This potential now has units of electron-volts and is unitless, as desired.

1. What is the Yukawa Potential?

The Yukawa Potential is a mathematical model used to describe the force between two particles. It takes into account the mass and distance between the particles, and is often used in quantum field theory to describe interactions between particles.

2. How is the coupling constant related to the Yukawa Potential?

The coupling constant, denoted by the symbol "g," is a measure of the strength of the interaction between particles. In the Yukawa Potential, it is used to determine the strength of the force between the particles. A higher value of the coupling constant indicates a stronger force.

3. What does a coupling constant of 0.3 mean in terms of the Yukawa Potential?

A coupling constant of 0.3 means that the force between the particles is relatively weak. This could indicate that the particles have a smaller mass or are located at a greater distance from each other.

4. How is the Yukawa Potential used in scientific research?

The Yukawa Potential is used in a variety of scientific fields, including nuclear physics, particle physics, and cosmology. It is often used in theoretical models to predict the behavior of particles and interactions between them.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions to consider when using the Yukawa Potential with a coupling constant of 0.3?

Like any mathematical model, the Yukawa Potential has some limitations and assumptions. For example, it assumes that the particles are point-like and do not have any internal structure. Additionally, a coupling constant of 0.3 may not accurately describe interactions between particles in certain scenarios, and other factors may need to be taken into account.