Understanding Bell's Inequality and QM with \vec{n}

• Thread starter Thrice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that quantum mechanics does not satisfy Bell's inequality. The key concept is the dot product of matrices and scalars, which is used to find the eigenvectors of a qubit oriented in an arbitrary direction. The conversation also mentions specific sources that discuss this concept.
Thrice
I'm trying to understand a part of the text where they prove QM doesn't satisfy Bell's inequality. I get how he derives the inequality. Apparently it's same as Sakuri (1985) and Townsend (2000). Problem is I lose him as soon as he starts the main part. Quoting almost directly,

--------------
Consider a qubit oriented in an arbitrary direction. Consider a unit vector [tex]\vec{n} = \sin \theta \cos\phi \hat{x} + \sin \theta \sin\phi \hat{y} + \cos \theta \hat{z}[/tex]. The eigenvectors of [tex]\sigma \cdot \vec{n} [/tex] are..

[tex]|+_n \rangle = \cos \frac{\theta }{2} |0 \rangle + e^{i\phi }\cos \frac{\theta }{2} |1 \rangle[/tex]

[tex]|-_n \rangle = \cos \frac{\theta }{2} |0 \rangle - e^{i\phi }\cos \frac{\theta }{2} |1 \rangle[/tex]

He then goes on to interpret [tex]|\langle 0|+_n\rangle |^2[/tex] as a probability & i can follow from there. I just don't get the bit I posted. The hint is to consider the x & y axes, eg to get the eigenvectors of [tex]\sigma \cdot \hat{x} [/tex] set [tex]\theta =\pi /2[/tex] & [tex]\phi =0[/tex]

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The key is to understand what [tex]\sigma \cdot \vec{n}[/tex] means. This is a dot product of matrices (Pauli matrices) times scalars (components of [tex]\vec{n}[/tex]. Let's just look at the first component. You will take the x Pauli matrix times by the x component of [tex]\vec{n}[/tex] to get [tex]\sigma_{x} n_{x}=\left(\begin{array}{cc}0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0\end{array} \right) \sin \theta \cos\phi=\left(\begin{array}{cc}0 & \sin\theta\cos\phi \\ \sin\theta\cos\phi & 0\end{array} \right)[/tex]. You do the same for the y and z components and add them all up to get your matrix, [tex]\sigma \cdot \vec{n}[/tex]. Find the eigenvectors of it and you should get what you gave from the book.

1. What is Bell's Inequality?

Bell's Inequality is a mathematical expression that tests the relationship between quantum mechanics and classical physics. It was developed by physicist John Stewart Bell in 1964 and is used to determine if a system follows the principles of local realism.

2. How does Bell's Inequality relate to quantum mechanics?

Bell's Inequality is used to test the predictions of quantum mechanics against those of classical physics. It shows that quantum mechanics cannot be explained by local hidden variables, meaning that there are no hidden properties that determine the outcome of quantum experiments.

3. What is the role of \vec{n} in Bell's Inequality and QM?

\vec{n} is a unit vector that represents the direction of measurement in Bell's Inequality. It is used to calculate the correlations between measurements in different directions, which are compared to the predictions of classical physics. In quantum mechanics, \vec{n} is used to represent the direction of spin in spin measurement experiments.

4. How does Bell's Inequality impact our understanding of quantum mechanics?

Bell's Inequality has shown that quantum mechanics cannot be explained by local hidden variables, which challenges our traditional understanding of how the universe works. It also highlights the non-local nature of quantum entanglement, where particles can be connected and affect each other's properties regardless of distance.

5. Are there any practical applications of Bell's Inequality?

While Bell's Inequality does not have direct practical applications, it has greatly advanced our understanding of quantum mechanics and has been used to test and validate various quantum phenomena. It has also led to the development of technologies such as quantum cryptography, which uses the principles of quantum entanglement to create secure communication channels.