Mutual Inductance: Understanding J2X2

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion about the appearance of "j2x2" in the second mesh equation in a picture attached by the speaker. It is explained that this is due to two coupled inductors in series causing a voltage drop in each other. The speaker expresses understanding after the explanation.
salman213
1.I don't understand where the J2X2 comes from. Everything else seems fine but why is there a J2x2 CHECK ATTACHED PICTURE

THANK YOU

Attachments

• mutual.jpg
    mutual.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 474
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe post the picture somewhere else or explain.

well basically I am trying to do mesh analysis to calculate the mesh currents in that picture...

umm...those are the two equations that the book shows. I understand where all the terms in the first mesh equation come from, but I am confused about where j2x2 comes from in the 2nd mesh equationAnyone
know?

What you have is j2 occurring twice.

The first one is caused by current I2 in inductor j6; that causes a voltage of I2*j2 to be induced in the j8 inductor.

Then, the I2 current in inductor j8 also causes a voltage of I2*j2 to be induced in inductor j6.

When you have two coupled inductors in series in a loop, such as the I2 loop, the current in each inductor causes a voltage drop in that same inductor, but it also causes a voltage drop in the other inductor.

Thanks makes sense :)

1. What is mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance is a phenomenon in which an electrical current flowing through one circuit creates a magnetic field that induces a voltage in a nearby circuit. This effect allows for energy transfer between the two circuits.

2. How is mutual inductance measured?

The mutual inductance between two circuits can be measured by applying a known alternating current to one circuit and measuring the resulting voltage induced in the other circuit.

3. What is the formula for calculating mutual inductance?

The formula for mutual inductance is M = N1 * Φ21 / I1, where M is the mutual inductance, N1 is the number of turns in the first circuit, Φ21 is the magnetic flux passing through the second circuit, and I1 is the current in the first circuit.

4. How does mutual inductance affect transformer efficiency?

Mutual inductance is a crucial factor in transformer efficiency. A higher mutual inductance between the primary and secondary coils of a transformer allows for a more efficient transfer of energy between the two circuits.

5. What are some real-world applications of mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance has many practical applications, including in power transmission, wireless charging, and electromagnetic induction used in generators and motors. It is also essential in technologies such as RFID and wireless communication.