Comments about an issue in cosmology?

• Thread starter tfb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosmology
In summary: C. J. Conselice, et al.In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of cosmology and the issue of red shift and its impact on understanding the expansion of the universe. The experts in the conversation explain that red shift is an effect, not a cause, and that it is used as a tool to study the expansion of the universe. They also mention alternative cosmologies and theories, such as Eternal Inflation and Quantum Wave Cosmology, that offer different explanations for the acceleration of expansion. The conversation also touches on the role of dark energy and the potential limitations of using red shift data.
tfb
Learned Gentlemen,
My Doctorate is in Medicine, so my questions and comments might be below you. Where can I ask questions and make comments about an issue in cosmology?
Thanks,
tfb

Space news on Phys.org

Sure, you can ask them here.

Note that it is frowned upon to enter another's thread and ask your own, separate question (this is called hijacking). Therefore, I've made you your own thread here.

Thanks, cristo!
So I have a new thread? How can I find it and do further questions and comments. Sorry to be a D.A.
tfb

:)

I know you will find it. The suspense is building.

The Doppler principal leads us to "The Red Shift". We worship the purity and infallability of conclusions born of "The Red Shift". But many of our current, troublesome puzzles can be traced back to "The Red Shift", i.e. The Dark Energy squabble. Wouldn't it be an ironic hoot if we learned that many unsuspected factors are skewing Red Shift data? When masses are separated by growing distances, is there no loss of gravitational force between them? Could that contribute to universal expansion?
tfb

Well, I see you found the thread. You know, that question is not an unusual one for people who are interested in cosmology. Actually there are many factors that skew red shift data, but there are many ways to confirm expansion as well.

How much do you know about expansion or as it is sometimes called inflation of the universe? The outcome of the expansion depends on the energy density of the universe and based on current understanding the expansion is accelerating so the indication is that the universe will expand forever unless some other factors are operative.

Many cosmologies exist in addition to Big Bang Theory which is the one I was referring too. Eternal inflation, the Arrow of Time, de Sitter universe, the Big Rip and my favorite, Quantum Wave Cosmology are all alternative theories and/or ideas.

The only one of that group that defeats entropy is QWC but is not theory, it is protoscience because it cannot be tested but is consistent and compatible with science, doesn't invoke unreasonable speculation and has no supernatural dogma.

I'm out of power and on vacation so I have to recharge. Let me know if you look into any of the alternative cosmologies.

One more thing, gravity. The inverse square rule applies to the separation of galaxies so yes the gravitational attraction declines at the inverse of the square of the distance. And yes, that accounts for the expansion after an early period during expansion where gravity still allows clumping of matter, and star and galaxy formation. After expansion reaches the point where it exceeds the ability of gravity to cause further grouping on a large scale, then expansion is in control. The average energy density will determine if expansion or gravity ultimately wins?

Thanks, Force 1. Inflation was almost instantaneous, and "done" unless it restarts or continues. My interest is in the acceleration of expansion. Isn't that dependant on what we believe to be Red Shift?
Gravity-wise, I guess we're S.O.L.
tfb

You are correct about the inflation in Big Bang Theory. It is referred to as exponential inflation in the first picoseconds. There are alternative cosmologies that consider inflation on-going, like Eternal Inflation, The Arrow of Time, and others.

In eternal inflation, there are patches of the universe that experience inflation at different rates, and the rate experienced by a patch can vary depending on the proximity to other patches. The thing is though that entropy is always progressing and so the final outcome of Eternal Inflation is complete entropy.

A simple question is, why isn't entropy complete yet? The obvious answer is that our patch of space has experienced low entropy relative to the greater universe. Of course that could be true but with very similar preconditions, the universe could be perpetual and entropy could be defeated as in the ideas expressed in QWC.

Given the choice and the similar preconditions, a cosmology that predicts the defeat of entropy seems more likely simply because "here we are still" :).

My interest is in the acceleration of expansion

I take this to mean the more rapid expansion of the universe that appears to be taking place over the past few billion years. Nobody knows just exactly what is causing this, but the red shift is an effect, not a cause. It's a leftover relic signature that requires a lot of interpretation but as far as is known is a good indicator.

It is hypothesized that dark energy may be the source of the more rapid expansion we observe, and perhaps this is "vacuum energy" but I don't believe anyone understands why the expansion rate has begun to increase.

Red-shift not a cause? If our assumptions on red-shift interpretations are false, then it is a cause. If we abandoned red-shift data, then we'd have no reason to invent "dark energy". What am I missing? Thanks,
tfb

tfb said:
My interest is in the acceleration of expansion. Isn't that dependant on what we believe to be Red Shift?

As best as can be determined, expansion of the universe continued past the very early inflation. It is not clear what the rate of expansion is, nor is it clear exactly how it is changing. You are correct that the red shift is used to study this, and the results are dependent on the specific sample used. Clearly, if your sample is unintentionally biased in some way, the conclusion may not be accurate.

The smoking gun (perhaps a slight exaggeration) for continued inflation/expansion of the universe is the discovery of so-called "high z" celestial objects. These have such high red shift, they are receding from us at speeds much greater than c. The highest of these have z > 6.5 and that corresponds to recession speeds of over 3c.

You may be interested in the following references:

Expanding Confusion: common misconceptions of cosmological horizons and the superluminal expansion of the Universe, by Tamara M. Davis, Charles H. Lineweaver

A galaxy at a redshift z = 6.96

What is the current issue in cosmology?

The current issue in cosmology is the discrepancy between the observed expansion rate of the universe and the predicted expansion rate based on our current understanding of the universe.

What is the cause of the discrepancy in the expansion rate of the universe?

The cause of the discrepancy is currently unknown, but it is thought to be due to either a new unknown type of energy or a flaw in our understanding of gravity.

How are scientists working to resolve this issue?

Scientists are using various methods, such as studying the cosmic microwave background radiation and conducting precision measurements of supernovae, to gather more data and refine our understanding of the universe.

What implications does this issue have for our understanding of the universe?

This issue challenges some of our fundamental theories and models about the universe, such as the Big Bang theory and the theory of general relativity. It also has implications for our understanding of dark matter and dark energy, which are still poorly understood.

Could this issue lead to a paradigm shift in cosmology?

It is possible that this issue could lead to a paradigm shift in cosmology, as it challenges some of our long-held beliefs and theories. However, further research and evidence are needed before any major shifts in our understanding can occur.