What is the equation to calculate the amount of bound states in a well

In summary, the Schrödinger equation is used to calculate the bound states in a potential well by solving for specific wavefunctions that represent the possible energy states of a particle. This equation can be applied to any type of potential well, with some simplifications and assumptions being made in the process. The bound states in a well correspond to the energy levels of the particle, with the depth of the well affecting the number of bound states and energy levels.
lozzyjay

Homework Statement

i have a finite square well and I have to calculate how many bound states exist in it. I have the depth and the width of the well but I cannot find an equation anywhere to help me calculate it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the graphical method to find bound states? Apply that, and think. It's not a plug and chug question.

1. What is the equation used to calculate the amount of bound states in a well?

The equation used is the Schrödinger equation, which is a differential equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles in a potential well.

2. How is the Schrödinger equation used to calculate bound states in a well?

The Schrödinger equation is solved for a specific potential well, taking into account the shape and depth of the well. The solutions to the equation, known as wavefunctions, represent the possible energy states of a particle in the well.

3. Can the equation be applied to all types of potential wells?

Yes, the Schrödinger equation can be applied to any type of potential well, as long as the potential is well-defined and not infinitely deep.

4. Are there any simplifications or assumptions made when using this equation?

Yes, there are simplifications and assumptions made in order to solve the Schrödinger equation for a potential well. These include the assumption of a one-dimensional system, the use of certain boundary conditions, and neglecting any external influences on the particle.

5. How do the bound states in a well relate to the energy levels of the particle?

The bound states in a well correspond to the energy levels of the particle, with each bound state having a specific energy value. As the depth of the well increases, the number of bound states also increases, resulting in more energy levels for the particle to occupy.