How Do You Calculate the Average Density of a Star?

In summary, the average density for a solar unit in a star with effective temperature of 20000K and luminosity of 0.03 solar luminosity is 1.1517 × 1025 kg/m3.
coffeem
Determine the average density in solar units of a 0.5 solar mass star with effective temperature 20000K and luminosity 0.03 solar luminosity.

I don't know what the relationship is that I have to use, I have tried using this:

rho = 3m/(4pir^3)

and mixing it with other equation but I have been unable to get a solution? Can someone please tell me what equation I need to know? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to work out the radius of the star from it's brightness and temperature.
Then with the mass and the equation for the volume of a sphere you can get it's density.

So am I on the right lines if I use: L = wpir^2stefbconsT^4 and dm - pho4pir^2dr? thanks

Hey I have a problem. When I plug the numbers into this I get 1.5ee11 but the answers says it should be 1.5ee5, where could i be getting 6 orders of magnitude from? thanks

The luminosity of a black body is L ≈ σT4 W m-2 (σ = 5.67 × 10-8 W m-2 K-4)
The surface area of a sphere is 4π r2
So L ≈ 4π r2 σ T4

Did you remember to convert to SI units?
0.03 solar luminosity = 0.03 * 3.839 × 10^26 = 1.1517 × 10^25 W
1.1517 × 1025 = 4π r2 * 5.67 × 10-8 * 20,0004
1.27 × 10^15 = 4π r2
r = 10^6m ( The suns radius is around 10^9m so this seems reasonable )

Last edited:
mgb_phys said:
The luminosity of a black body is L ≈ σT4 W m-2 (σ = 5.67 × 10-8 W m-2 K-4)
The surface area of a sphere is 4π r2

So L ≈ 4π r2 σ T4

Hi I was using this. Sorry for my typo above. However when I try and calculate the average density I get the wrong answer. What do you get if you compute it? thanks

Mass is 0.5 * sun = 10^30kg
Radius is = 10^6m
Volume of a sphere = 4/3 π r3

Note that this is a white dwarf mostly made of degnerate matter so you might get a rather surprising answer for the density!

Last edited:
Thanks very much that was really helpful. I think I can understand what is going on now.

1. What is the average density of a star?

The average density of a star varies depending on its size and composition. However, the average density of a star is about 1.4 grams per cubic centimeter.

2. How do scientists measure the average density of a star?

Scientists measure the average density of a star by calculating its mass and volume. The mass is determined by the star's gravitational pull, while the volume is estimated by studying the star's size and temperature.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the average density of a star?

The unit of measurement for the average density of a star is grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3).

4. How does the average density of a star affect its lifespan?

The average density of a star can affect its lifespan by determining the amount of fuel it has available for nuclear fusion. The higher the density, the shorter the lifespan as the star burns through its fuel faster.

5. Can the average density of a star change over time?

Yes, the average density of a star can change over time as it evolves. As the star ages and uses up its fuel, it can become more dense due to gravitational collapse. However, other factors such as mass loss and expansion can also impact the average density of a star.