Radio waves: constructive and destructive interference 1-dimension

In summary, for parts a/b, interference occurs when the two waves are at a distance of 2.5 meters from each other. For part c/d, interference occurs when the two waves are at a distance of 7.5 meters from each other.
kelaroo24

Homework Statement

Two coherent sources of radio waves, A and B, are 5.00 m apart. Each source emits waves
with wavelength 6.00 m. Consider points only along the line connecting the two sources.
(a) At what distance from source A is there constructive interference between points A and
B?
(b) At what (two) distances from source A is there destructive interference between points
A and B?

Suppose the two sources differ in phase by 90 instead.
(c) At what point(s) between the two sources do we get constructive interference?
(d) What is the nearest point to source A, but on the other side from source B, where we
get destructive interference?

Homework Equations

constructive: m*2pi= 2pi delta x / wavelength + phase constant
destructive: (m+1/2) *2pi= 2pi delta x / wavelength + phase constant

The Attempt at a Solution

for parts a/b, i am using phase constant = 0.
i used 0,1,... for m, and plugged into the equation to solve for delta x.
2pi= 2pi delta x / 6m + 0
delta x= 0m, 6m then is 0m the only distance from a where there is constructive interference?

how do you take into account that the sources are 5m apart?

for parts c/d, i am using phase constant = 90
2pi= 2pi delta x / 6m + pi/2
delta x= 9/2 m, 21/2 m is 4.5 m the distance from a for constructive interference?

i am assuming there's something I'm missing since the hints from the problem suggest 1 answer to part a, 2 distances for part b, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
Curious, that formula doesn't work BETWEEN the two sources where the solutions lie.

Is there a different formula to use for interference?

Between the sources, for part (a) it is
distance from A = distance from B
x = 5 - x

ok, so for part a, i found delta x equals 0, so i set that equal to 5 -2x = 0 and got x=2.5 m.

for part b, i got delta x= 3, so 5-2x=3, and x= 1m and 4m. is this correct?

for part c, i used 2pi= 2pi delta x / 6m + pi/2 and got x=.25m and x=4.75m.

for part d, would i use 2pi(m +1/2)= 2pi delta x / 6m + pi/2?

I'm sure you have a, b, and c.
I don't see any solutions for d. The A to B distance amounts to 300 degrees, so the waves will always be 300 + 90 or 300 - 90 degrees out of phase.

thanks. for part d, when m=1, 3pi= 2pi delta x/ lambda + pi/2
so delta x = 7.5 m.
I said this would be the answer since 7.5 m is greater than 5 so this would be the distance from source A.

I don't see how delta x can be anything other than 5.

1. What are radio waves?

Radio waves are a type of electromagnetic radiation that can travel through empty space and carry information through the air. They have a longer wavelength and lower frequency than other types of electromagnetic radiation, such as visible light.

2. What is constructive interference in relation to radio waves?

Constructive interference occurs when two or more radio waves meet and combine, resulting in a larger amplitude. This can enhance the strength of the signal and improve the quality of reception.

3. What is destructive interference in relation to radio waves?

Destructive interference occurs when two or more radio waves meet and cancel each other out, resulting in a decrease in amplitude. This can cause signal distortion and decrease the quality of reception.

4. How does the dimension of a medium affect the interference of radio waves?

The dimension of a medium can affect the interference of radio waves by changing the distance between the sources and the receiver. In a 1-dimensional medium, the sources and receiver are aligned along a single line, which can result in more predictable interference patterns.

5. How is constructive and destructive interference used in practical applications of radio waves?

Constructive and destructive interference are used in various ways in practical applications of radio waves. For example, in radio communication, constructive interference is used to enhance the signal strength, while destructive interference is used to cancel out unwanted signals. In radio telescopes, interference patterns can be used to gather information about the source of the radio waves. In addition, these interference principles are also utilized in technologies such as FM radio, radar, and Wi-Fi.