Weights, pulley's and a spring

• Thread starter fableblue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, the person is asking for confirmation that they are on the right track with their homework. They mention that they are struggling to find the missing values for unknown weights and would appreciate some guidance. They also mention that they have attached their work for readability. The person then adds that they were able to solve the problem by realizing it was a simple force vector problem, rather than using unit vectors. They also mention that they used angles and trigonometry in their solution, while their professor did not. They express confusion about how precise their solution needs to be and thank the community for being a good place to practice.
fableblue

Homework Statement

Am I heading in the right direction?
If so i am lost now in finding the missing values for the unknown weights, a little nudge would be great. The work that i have attached is CLEANED up so it can be readable.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• statics.jpg
    statics.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 387
  • sts003.pdf
    30.8 KB · Views: 185
Physics news on Phys.org
I finally was able to complete this problem.
First i was going in the wrong direction using unit vectors. I found out that it was a simple force vector problem. Bottom line i was over thing and making it out to be more complicated then it really was, but it was comforting to find out that i was not the only one :-) But anyway I am going to attached my solution. The professor did not use angles in his solution as i did he just used the properties of find the angle sine=opp/hyp and cos=adj/hyp. I used tan to find the angles as you can see. The one that that confuses me is how precise is precise?
Thank youI am new on here and i see that this would be a good place for practice.

Attachments

• Solution002.jpg
    Solution002.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:

It seems like you are on the right track! Weights, pulleys, and a spring are all common components in mechanical systems. In order to find the missing values for the unknown weights, you will need to use some equations and principles from mechanics. These may include Newton's laws of motion, Hooke's law, and the concepts of work, energy, and power. Additionally, you may need to consider the forces acting on each weight, such as tension and gravity. It may also be helpful to draw a free body diagram for each weight to better understand the forces at play. I suggest reviewing your class notes and consulting with your instructor or classmates for further guidance. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the purpose of weights, pulleys, and a spring in an experiment?

The purpose of weights, pulleys, and a spring in an experiment is to measure and understand the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. This setup allows for the application of an external force (weights) on a spring attached to a pulley system, which then produces a measurable displacement or acceleration that can be used to determine the spring constant or other properties of the system.

2. How do weights, pulleys, and a spring work together?

In this setup, the weights provide the external force on the spring, which is then transferred to the pulley system. The spring, being an elastic material, stores this force as potential energy and then releases it as the weight is pulled down. The pulley system helps to amplify the force and allows for the measurement of displacement or acceleration.

3. What are the advantages of using a pulley system in conjunction with weights and a spring?

The main advantage of using a pulley system is that it allows for the measurement of smaller forces and displacements. The multiple pulleys in the system help to amplify the force applied by the weights, making it easier to detect smaller changes in the spring's length or tension. Additionally, the pulley system can be adjusted to change the amount of force applied to the spring, making it a versatile tool for experiments.

4. How does Hooke's Law relate to weights, pulleys, and a spring?

Hooke's Law states that the force applied to an elastic material (such as a spring) is directly proportional to the resulting displacement or change in length. In this setup, the weights provide the external force which causes the spring to stretch or compress, and Hooke's Law can be used to calculate the spring constant or other properties of the spring.

5. What are some real-life applications of weights, pulleys, and a spring?

Weights, pulleys, and a spring have many real-life applications, including in the fields of engineering, physics, and mechanics. Some examples include measuring the force of gravity, determining the stiffness of materials, and testing the strength of structures. They are also commonly used in industrial settings for lifting and moving heavy objects. Additionally, many exercise machines, such as weight machines and resistance bands, utilize the principles of weights, pulleys, and a spring to provide resistance for strength training.