Heisenberg Uncertainty Derivation

In summary, using the uncertainty relation for momentum and position, it can be shown that the quantum-mechanical uncertainty in the position of a particle at temperature T is equal to \Delta x~\sqrt{\frac{h^{2}}{4mkT}}, where T is the temperature and k is the Boltzmann's constant. This is derived by isolating \Delta x and substituting \Delta p=mv=kT/v, and then using the equation \Delta p\Delta x\geq h/2, where h is Planck's constant. Additionally, the kinetic energy can be represented as E = 1/2*kT, which can be used to further simplify the equation.
XJellieBX

Homework Statement

Using the uncertainty relation for momentum and position, show that the quantum-mechanical uncertainty in the position of a particle at temperture T is
[tex]\Delta x[/tex]~[tex]\sqrt{\frac{h^{2}}{4mkT}}[/tex]
where T is the temperature and k is the Boltzmann's constant.

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta p\Delta x\geq h/2[/tex], h being Planck's constant
K.E.=0.5 mv2=0.5 kT

The Attempt at a Solution

I isolated [tex]\Delta x[/tex] and subbed [tex]\Delta p[/tex]=mv=kT/v.
So, [tex]\Delta x[/tex]~h/2[tex]\Delta p[/tex] ~ h/2mv ~ hv/2kT.
I've tried subing in a whole bunch of stuff for v but I can't seem to get the equation. Any insight?

Physics news on Phys.org
XJellieBX said:

Homework Statement

Using the uncertainty relation for momentum and position, show that the quantum-mechanical uncertainty in the position of a particle at temperture T is
[tex]\Delta x[/tex]~[tex]\sqrt{\frac{h^{2}}{4mkT}}[/tex]
where T is the temperature and k is the Boltzmann's constant.

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta p\Delta x\geq h/2[/tex], h being Planck's constant
K.E.=0.5 mv2=0.5 kT

The Attempt at a Solution

I isolated [tex]\Delta x[/tex] and subbed [tex]\Delta p[/tex]=mv=kT/v.
So, [tex]\Delta x[/tex]~h/2[tex]\Delta p[/tex] ~ h/2mv ~ hv/2kT.
I've tried subing in a whole bunch of stuff for v but I can't seem to get the equation. Any insight?
Delta p[/tex] = sqrt(2mE) where E is the kinetic energy which is equal to 1/2*kT

Thanks =)

What is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Derivation?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Derivation is a mathematical proof that demonstrates the fundamental uncertainty in the measurements of certain pairs of physical properties of a particle, such as position and momentum, or energy and time.

Who developed the Heisenberg Uncertainty Derivation?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Derivation was developed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927.

What is the significance of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Derivation?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Derivation is significant because it provided a new understanding of the behavior of particles at the quantum level and led to the development of the field of quantum mechanics.

How does the Heisenberg Uncertainty Derivation work?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Derivation is based on the fact that the more precisely one property of a particle is measured, the less precisely the other property can be measured. This is due to the wave-particle duality of quantum particles. The derivation uses mathematical equations to calculate the uncertainty in these measurements.

What are some applications of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Derivation?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Derivation has practical applications in various fields such as quantum computing, atomic and molecular physics, and even in the development of medical imaging techniques. It also has philosophical implications on our understanding of the nature of reality at the quantum level.