Is Io the Nearest Supernova?

• Thread starter big-egg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Supernova
In summary: So, a supernova between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter would not impact Earth; it would be a total extinction event.In summary, Io is not the nearest supernova, and would not have any impact on Earth if it did undergo a supernova. Savov is a crackpot, and you should not believe everything he writes.
big-egg
Io is the nearest supernova!?

It is shown that space bodies expand and then collapse on their sources in supernova like explosions [1]. Therefore the nearest supernova is Io. The hot volcanic nature of Io [2] indicates near collapse at cosmic time scales. We can only hope that our much smaller time scales to end well before the explosion. Similar explosion of a planet between Mars and Jupiter has created asteroid belt [1].

I wonder what will be the impact on the Earth if 10% of the mass of Io turns into energy according to E=mc2?

1. Savov, E., Theory of Interaction, Geones Books, 2002.
2. http://news-info.wustl.edu/tips/page/normal/892.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Rest assured that Io is a moon of Jupiter, and will never be a supernova. Supernovae result when very massive stars run out of fuel and suffer devastating core collapse. Io is just a tiny fragment of rock, and has nothing whatsoever to do with supernovae.

I should also mention that Savov is a total crackpot, and you should not believe everything that you read.

- Warren

chroot said:
Rest assured that Io is a moon of Jupiter, and will never be a supernova. Supernovae result when very massive stars run out of fuel and suffer devastating core collapse. Io is just a tiny fragment of rock, and has nothing whatsoever to do with supernovae.

I should also mention that Savov is a total crackpot, and you should not believe everything that you read.

- Warren

savov is not a total crackpot [you flatter him]. he is just a phony pretending to be a physicist. metaphysical nonsense should be taken with a 'chrystal' of salt.

Chronos said:
savov is not a total crackpot [you flatter him]. he is just a phony pretending to be a physicist. metaphysical nonsense should be taken with a 'chrystal' of salt.
So he's a fraud masquerading as a crackpot? Interesting, but by that you assume that to be a crackpot one needs to be a real physicist, just with crazy ideas. Hm...gotta think about that one.

big-egg said:
It is shown that space bodies expand and then collapse on their sources in supernova like explosions [1]. Therefore the nearest supernova is Io. The hot volcanic nature of Io [2] indicates near collapse at cosmic time scales. We can only hope that our much smaller time scales to end well before the explosion. Similar explosion of a planet between Mars and Jupiter has created asteroid belt [1].

I wonder what will be the impact on the Earth if 10% of the mass of Io turns into energy according to E=mc2?

1. Savov, E., Theory of Interaction, Geones Books, 2002.
2. http://news-info.wustl.edu/tips/page/normal/892.html
If a supernova occurred between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter, we certainly wouldn't be here to discuss it!

Homo sap. 1, Savov 0.

Hey People

I am new to these forums but I would like to put my two penny worth in.

I have just finished my GCSEs and so would like to put a lower view on things.

If Io was, indeed, to become a supernova then it would have to be about 10 times the size of our Sun (or 13,900,000,000 metres in diameter). It would then have to produce its own heat from the nuclear fission that takes place in it. It would have to produce light.

Now it does do both in very, very small amounts but if it were to produce 10 times the amount of light we would all have been blinded and if it were 10 times the size of our Sun then it would produce 10 times the heat from it, which would mean about 60,000°C of heat would be radiating into space. Io is closer to use than the Sun and so our 'Life-Zone' would not be mantained. It would be like living on Mercury (not as hot as Venus (lol :wink: )).

Io would then have to contract and use helium as a source of energy and then inplode as a result. We would not exist before or after if Io is a supernova, reasons above.

Hope this ends the topic here and does not get carried away with advance science when simple science is all that is needed.

Hope I learn to be as intelligent as all of you.

The Bob (2004 ©)

No offense The Bob, but your physics needs to be torn apart a bit.

1) Stars liberate energy via nuclear fusion, not fission.

2) Io does not undergo any kind of nuclear reactions except the natural decay of primordial radioisotopes that were present in the solar nebula -- the same activity that occurs in the Earth. Io does not produce any light, except a bit from escaping magma. Overall, Io does not liberate energy. Most of its energy is gained by tidal interactions with Jupiter.

3) A star that is 10 times more massive than another does not produce 10 times the light or energy output -- it produces many, many, many times more light and energy. Surface area, of course, increases with the square of radius, and power output is linearly dependent on surface area.

4) I don't know where you got this 60,000 C figure.

5) Io is more than four times further from us than is the Sun.

- Warren

Thanks

chroot said:
No offense The Bob, but your physics needs to be torn apart a bit.

None taken. I need help. :biggrin:

chroot said:
1) Stars liberate energy via nuclear fusion, not fission.

Sorry got the wrong word. :tongue2:

chroot said:
2) Io does not undergo any kind of nuclear reactions except the natural decay of primordial radioisotopes that were present in the solar nebula -- the same activity that occurs in the Earth. Io does not produce any light, except a bit from escaping magma. Overall, Io does not liberate energy. Most of its energy is gained by tidal interactions with Jupiter.

Yer. That is what I was trying to say. That Io could not be a supernova because it does not produce, even close to enough, light or heat to be a star before exploding.

chroot said:
3) A star that is 10 times more massive than another does not produce 10 times the light or energy output -- it produces many, many, many times more light and energy. Surface area, of course, increases with the square of radius, and power output is linearly dependent on surface area.

Right. Correction noted. Cheers, but my point of more heat and light produced is correct just not accurate. So it is 100 times more (as it is the square), right?

chroot said:
4) I don't know where you got this 60,000 C figure.

This was from a web site. I took the surface temperature of the Sun and multiplied it by 10. Of course not only does the surface area have nothing to do with the heat and light produced but also it is 100 times.

chroot said:
5) Io is more than four times further from us than is the Sun.

I stand corrected but my point, originally, is still valid. Io is not a supernova for the reasons in my original text (plus the corrections)

Thanks for the corrections. :biggrin: I can now go on and learn more and learn not to just assume but to prove.

Hope I can be as intelligent as all of you one day.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Last edited:
Nereid said:
If a supernova occurred between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter, we certainly wouldn't be here to discuss it!

Homo sap. 1, Savov 0.

That cracked me up :biggrin:

Glad you liked it Locrian, and (a belated) welcome to Physics Forums!

Credit where it's due; I got the idea from SelfAdjoint (I've learned a lot besides, from his posts and suggestions). :approve:

Do you have empirical evidence that supernovae do not produce disembodied entities that suffer the delusion that they are people communicating via an internet physics board?

What? Have you never heard of Occam's curling iron?

Njorl

In the ~13.7 bn years that I've been around, I've known billions of supernovae; I can honestly say not a single one of them has produced a disembodied entity of any kind. OTOH, there are indeed many mischievous things (let's just leave it at that) which (who?) delight in physics fora pranks, of many kinds.

But my buddy, Hydra, whose hair many of the odd matter-creature species homo sap. mistake for 'heads', starting with that hyper-testosterone charged Hercules, has had a lot of trouble with the Ockham curling iron, so ve (you understand that the earthly obsession with just two sexes is quaint, but also irritating) sent it back with a tart note about 'marketing cra*'

Now the 'married' ones, them you have to watch!

1. What is a supernova?

A supernova is a powerful and dramatic explosion that occurs when a dying star runs out of nuclear fuel and collapses, releasing an enormous amount of energy and creating a bright burst of light.

2. How far away is Io, the nearest supernova?

Io is a moon of Jupiter and is located approximately 5.9 billion kilometers away from Earth. This is relatively close in astronomical terms, but still far enough that a supernova on Io would not pose any immediate danger to Earth.

3. Is Io the only moon that could potentially experience a supernova?

No, other moons in our solar system could potentially experience a supernova if they were to orbit a dying star. However, Io is the closest moon to Jupiter, which is a gas giant that could potentially evolve into a supernova in the distant future.

4. What would happen if Io experienced a supernova?

If Io were to experience a supernova, it would likely be destroyed, along with any other nearby celestial bodies. The explosion would also release a tremendous amount of energy and radiation, potentially affecting nearby planets and moons.

5. Is there any evidence of a supernova occurring on Io?

There is currently no evidence of a supernova occurring on Io. Scientists believe that the conditions necessary for a supernova to occur on Io are not present, and it is unlikely that this moon will experience a supernova in the foreseeable future.