BS Physics / MS Material Science & Engineering

In summary, the individual has recently completed their Associates in Civil Engineering Technologies but has decided not to pursue a BS in the same field due to it being boring. They are now planning to start a BS in Physics and MS in Mat. Sci. & Engineering at RIT and are taking summer courses to get a head start. They are seeking advice on finding a job after graduation, specifically in materials research. They are considering a BS in Mechanical Engineering but prefer physics. They also mention the potential advantage of having a PE certification and the difference in job opportunities between a BS in chemical engineering and physics.
wclawson
Hi everyone, time for my first post.
I just got my Associates in Civil Engineering Technologies, and have decided not to go for my BS because... its really boring. I need something more. Something sub atomic.

So

This fall I will begin pursuing a BS in Physics / MS in Mat. Sci. & Engineering at RIT. I am taking 2 calc courses over the summer to get a head start. (Engineering Technologies required no calculus)

I'd like some input from you all in regards to being able to find a job after graduation.

I've been reading some horror stories of guys with a Physics BS not being able to find jobs, or at least not the jobs they were hoping for. Getting my MS, would I be in the same boat?

My dream job would be materials research, like semi conductors, building mat.'s etc. I love computers, built my first at 13yrs, and am getting my SCJA certification. But I don't love computers enough to be sitting for 8 hrs programming, I'd go insane.

How much of a better shot will I have for a R&D position with my MS?

RIT also offeres a BS Mechanical Engineering / MS Mat. Sci. & Engineering, but its would take me 2 more years, and I like physics more. Would I be better of getting my dream job with that?

Thanks in advance for your help, sorry for the long post.

Physics news on Phys.org
In looking at your post, it seems that you'd be doing the same MS, but with a different BS -- both of which must be viewed as qualified by the MS program. And I'd suspect it's in the MS degree that you'd really be doing a research-based thesis... and sometimes the thesis project can come through a collaboration of your university adviser with a company, national lab, etc... which can really help employment prospects. I have a BS in physics and MS in engineering (optics) and I know several people that graduated from that program and found jobs in R&D easily... of course that was when the economy was great too! (Stupid me... I went on to get my Ph.D. in Physics, while my employment prospects at the location where I did my MS research -- the Air Force Reasearch Laboratory -- was dangling a darn good offer!)

The one disadvantage of a BS in Physics versus a BS in engineering is your ability at the present moment to qualify for taking "professional engineer" (PE) certification tests... while there's rumor that this will change (to allow BS's in related fields with an MS in engineering to qualify for the test), it's not guaranteed. Sometimes jobs specifically look for PE certification (and with current computer-based job-application searches becoming more common, if the job requires it your resume might not pop up, even though you'd be perhaps a perfectly-otherwise qualified candidate. Is that, however, worth 2 years? Hmmm.

I never thought about the computerized job applications, that's a good point.

I'm not bent out of shape about 2 more years, its definitely worth it if I can take the PE exam. Do R&D positions desire a PE license that much?

What different job positions would be available with a BS in chemical engineering vs Physics?

What is the difference between BS Physics and MS Material Science & Engineering?

BS Physics is a bachelor's degree program that focuses on the fundamental principles of physics, while MS Material Science & Engineering is a master's degree program that specifically covers the study of materials and their properties. MS Material Science & Engineering builds upon the knowledge gained in a BS Physics program and applies it to the design, development, and production of materials with specific properties and functions.

What career opportunities are available for those with a BS Physics / MS Material Science & Engineering degree?

Graduates with a BS Physics / MS Material Science & Engineering degree have a wide range of career options. They can work in research and development, design and production, quality control, or management positions in industries such as aerospace, automotive, electronics, healthcare, and many more. They can also pursue further education and research in academia or government laboratories.

What skills are necessary for success in a BS Physics / MS Material Science & Engineering program?

A strong foundation in mathematics and physics is essential for both BS Physics and MS Material Science & Engineering programs. In addition, students should have strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to work independently and in a team. Excellent communication and computer skills are also important for success in this field.

How long does it take to complete a BS Physics / MS Material Science & Engineering program?

The duration of a BS Physics program is typically four years, while an MS Material Science & Engineering program can take two to three years to complete. However, this may vary depending on the institution and the student's course load. Some universities also offer combined BS/MS programs, which allow students to complete both degrees in a shorter amount of time.

What research opportunities are available for students in a BS Physics / MS Material Science & Engineering program?

Both BS Physics and MS Material Science & Engineering programs offer various opportunities for students to engage in research projects. These may include laboratory experiments, computer simulations, or theoretical studies. Students can also participate in research internships or work with faculty members on ongoing research projects to gain hands-on experience in their field of study.