Adding Resistors: How to Calculate Total Resistance

• Thread starter Dell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistors
In summary, the conversation is about finding the total resistance in a complex circuit with both resistors and capacitors. The participants discuss using formulas for parallel and series resistors, but are having difficulty distinguishing between the two in the given diagram. One suggests redrawing the circuit to make it easier to identify the resistors, while another suggests using Kirchhoff's Laws. The conversation ends with a question about finding the total resistance by choosing two points and calculating the resistance between them. However, there is uncertainty about how this method would give the total resistance since the voltage difference between two points may be 0.
Dell
http://picasaweb.google.com/devanlevin/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCL_4l4PpvP_YsQE&pli=1&gsessionid=0QnHbYBvT-aZ60wV9tvsow#5376537235623432578

in the above diagram, how do i add all the resistors( and i know that the dagram has capacitators) in order to find the total reststance,

i know that when adding parallel resistors 1/r +1/r = 1/R
and for adding in rows r + r = R

but i cannot see what is parallel and what is in a row here??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try to redraw the circuit in a more open and less tangled manner.

cant see it, been trying

Had a hard time simplifying this mess o.0
Oh well, when all else fails, there are Kirchhoff's Laws to fall back on

is that the only way you can see?
what should i do? choose 2 points and find the total R between them? but how will that give me the total resistance? wouldn't that only give me resistance between those 2 points?
and if i take it from point A back to the same point A wouldn't i get R=0 since the voltage difference would be 0?

Q1: What is the formula for calculating total resistance?

The formula for calculating total resistance when adding resistors in series is Rtotal = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances of each resistor in the circuit.

Q2: How do you calculate total resistance when resistors are in parallel?

The formula for calculating total resistance when adding resistors in parallel is 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances of each resistor in the circuit.

Q3: Can you add resistors in both series and parallel in the same circuit?

Yes, it is possible to have a combination of series and parallel resistors in the same circuit. In this case, you would need to first calculate the total resistance of the series resistors and the total resistance of the parallel resistors, and then use those values in the overall circuit calculation.

Q4: How do you deal with non-numeric resistors, such as capacitors or inductors?

Non-numeric resistors, such as capacitors or inductors, cannot be added in the same way as resistors. Instead, you would need to use the appropriate formulas for these components to calculate their individual and total values in the circuit.

Q5: Is there a limit to the number of resistors that can be added in a circuit?

There is no limit to the number of resistors that can be added in a circuit. However, the more resistors that are added, the more complex the calculations may become, and it may be necessary to use more advanced techniques, such as Kirchhoff's laws, to solve the circuit.