Earth from Space: Fresh News at Just $148

In summary, a group managed to launch a balloon from their backyard in Kansas and capture images of Earth from space for only $148. This project reminded someone of a similar endeavor from a few years ago, which luckily didn't end up in the ocean. The group hopes to inspire others to try similar "poor projects" and continue pushing the boundaries of what is possible. This feat has been praised by others in the physics community.
Borek
Mentor
Freshly on the news - earth from space for $148 (and here).

That reminded me of a similar thing I have read few years ago - http://vpizza.org/~jmeehan/balloon/ .

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
They're lucky that thing didn't end up in the ocean somewhere.

The next goal is for just some average joe to get a shot of the entire Earth.

leroyjenkens said:
They're lucky that thing didn't end up in the ocean somewhere.

That's not necesarilly luck, they did some research to minimalise the risk.

Sure, starting the balloon from the backyard in Kansas makes chances it will hit the sea much smaller :smile:

He gets my vote any day,i love these $poor projects.

Good find.

Bravo! I think that was great and hopes he keeps up the spirit of " what if I try this" , all his life.

Wow that's amazing. I would never have thought it possible. Great job on these guys for doing this. Nice find man :P

What is "Earth from Space: Fresh News at Just $148"?

"Earth from Space: Fresh News at Just $148" is a subscription service that provides up-to-date satellite imagery and data of the Earth. This service is beneficial for researchers, scientists, and anyone interested in monitoring changes and developments on our planet.

What kind of data is included in "Earth from Space: Fresh News at Just $148"?

The subscription service includes various types of data, such as satellite imagery, land surface temperature, ocean color, and vegetation index. Users can also access historical data to track changes over time.

How often is the data updated in "Earth from Space: Fresh News at Just $148"?

The data is updated daily, providing users with the most current and accurate information about our planet. This frequent update allows for real-time monitoring and analysis of changes on the Earth's surface.

Is "Earth from Space: Fresh News at Just $148" accessible to everyone?

Yes, the subscription service is accessible to everyone who has an internet connection. However, there may be certain limitations for non-subscribers, such as limited access to certain data or lower resolution imagery.

How can "Earth from Space: Fresh News at Just $148" benefit scientists and researchers?

The service can aid in various scientific research and studies, such as climate change monitoring, disaster response, and land use analysis. It provides high-quality data and imagery that can be used for analysis, comparison, and validation of research findings.