Changing radius and centripetal force

In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of a mass attached to a rope and a yo-yo dropped from the same height. The conclusion is that the yo-yo will take longer to reach the bottom due to the additional energy it gains from its rotational kinetic energy. However, the equation for centripetal force at the bottom suggests that the greater the length of the rope, the longer it will take for both objects to reach the bottom.
caljuice
I have my own concept question.

Ignoring air friction and mass of string, and only considering the motion of the bottom right quarter of a circle, where only gravity acts on the mass.

Lets say I have a mass attached to a rope with length R. I hold the string in my left hand and the mass in the other hand. I let go the mass so it will fall in a circular motion and be vertical at the bottom my left hand.

Now I have a yo-yo with the same mass and with initial R as well. I do the same thing with the yo-yo as I did with the first mass. The yoyo will be changing length as it falls.

Will the yo-yo and the first mass take the same time to reach the bottom? I'm guessing yes because they have the same tension and only force acting on it is gravity. Meaning, they will have the same velocities.

Physics news on Phys.org
Initially both will have the same potential energy.
In the case of falling mass, at any point the total energy = PE + KE
In the case of yo-yo, at any point the total energy = PE + KE + rotational KE.
Hence at any point linear velocity of mass is greater than the velocity of yo-yo.

Interesting, never thought of using energies. But if that's the case, how do we know the yo-yo will be slower for sure. Since the yo-yo is lower at the bottom, it has less PE and so higher KE than the mass? If we ignore the rotational KE of the yo-yo, but still include the increasing length, does this mean for sure the yo-yo will reach the bottom first then?

But if use the equation for centripetal force at the bottom

Using same T-MG for net force.

Fnet = mv2/r = 4pi2r/time.

time=4pi2r/Fnet

Meaning greater R will take longer, thus yo yo should take longer? Meaning I'm wrong about the top assumption?

Last edited:

1. How does changing the radius affect centripetal force?

Changing the radius affects centripetal force by altering the distance between the object and the center of rotation. As the radius decreases, the centripetal force increases because the object has to travel a shorter distance in the same amount of time, resulting in a higher velocity and thus a greater force.

2. What is the relationship between centripetal force and the mass of the object?

The relationship between centripetal force and the mass of the object is direct. This means that as the mass of the object increases, so does the centripetal force required to keep it in circular motion. This can be seen in the formula for centripetal force: Fc = mv^2/r, where m is the mass of the object.

3. How does changing the radius affect the speed of an object in circular motion?

Changing the radius affects the speed of an object in circular motion by altering the distance it has to travel in a given amount of time. As the radius decreases, the speed of the object increases because it has to cover a shorter distance in the same amount of time. This can be seen in the formula for centripetal force: Fc = mv^2/r, where v is the velocity of the object.

4. What happens to the centripetal force if the velocity of the object changes?

If the velocity of the object changes, the centripetal force will also change. This is because centripetal force is directly proportional to the square of the velocity. As the velocity increases, the centripetal force required to keep the object in circular motion also increases.

5. How does the direction of the centripetal force change with a change in radius?

The direction of the centripetal force always points towards the center of rotation, regardless of the radius. As the radius changes, the direction of the centripetal force remains the same, but its magnitude may increase or decrease depending on the change in radius.