Charged concentric metal spheres

In summary: GIn summary, the problem at hand involves two concentric metal spheres with different radii and charges. By treating the spheres as flat parallel plates separated by a distance of 0.5cm, the total energy stored in the electric field between the spheres can be calculated using the equations U = 0.5 x C x (V^2) or (Q x V)/2. To find the electric field strength, Gauss' law or Coulomb's law can be used, and the potential difference can be calculated using V = Ed. Once the potential difference is known, the energy stored can be found by multiplying it by the charge.
ChrisBaker8

Homework Statement

Two concentric metal spheres have radii R1 =10cm and R2=10.5cm. The inner sphere has a charge of Q=5 nC spread uniformly over its surface, and the outer sphere has charge −Q spread uniformly over its surface.

Calculate the total energy stored in the electric field between the spheres. (Hint : the spheres can be treated as flat parallel slabs separated by 0.5cm)

Homework Equations

U = 0.5 x C x (V^2)
=(Q x V)/2

Energy Density=1/2 x epsilon_0 x E^2

The Attempt at a Solution

None, unless confused scribbles count. I know I can treat this as a parallel plate capacitor (from the hint), but that doesn't seem to help me.

I've been looking though my textbooks for hours but I can't find a clear way to work this out. I tried using (Q x d) / (A x Permittivity of air) to work out the electric field strength (E), but I didn't know which area to use for A.

If I can work out the energy density of the field, I can multiply it by the volume of the space between the spheres to find the energy stored, but again, I can't work out E.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use Gauss' law or Coulomb's law to calculate the field between the spheres:

[tex]\int \vec{E}\cdot dA = \frac{q_{encl}}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

[tex]E = Q/4\pi \epsilon_0r^2[/tex]

It is not quite, but approximately equal over the .5 cm distance between spheres.

The potential difference between the spheres is V = Ed (in volts or joules/coulomb).

Since potential difference is the energy in joules per coulomb of charge: U = QV

AM

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your question. It seems like you are on the right track by treating the concentric spheres as a parallel plate capacitor. To start, let's calculate the electric field between the spheres. As you mentioned, we can use the equation E = (Q x d) / (A x ε0), where Q is the charge on the inner sphere, d is the distance between the spheres (0.5cm in this case), A is the area of the plates, and ε0 is the permittivity of air.

To find the area of the plates, we can use the formula for the surface area of a sphere, A = 4πr^2. For the inner sphere, this would be A1 = 4π(10cm)^2 and for the outer sphere, it would be A2 = 4π(10.5cm)^2. Plugging these values into the equation for E, we get E = (5nC x 0.5cm) / (4π(10cm)^2 x ε0) = 1.25 x 10^4 V/m.

Now, to calculate the energy density of the electric field, we can use the equation u = 0.5 x ε0 x E^2. Plugging in our calculated value for E, we get u = 0.5 x (8.85 x 10^-12 C^2/Nm^2) x (1.25 x 10^4 V/m)^2 = 6.57 x 10^-5 J/m^3.

Finally, to find the total energy stored in the electric field between the spheres, we can use the equation U = u x V, where V is the volume of the space between the spheres. Since the space between the spheres is a thin layer of 0.5cm, we can approximate the volume as a cylinder with a height of 0.5cm and a radius of 10.5cm. This gives us V = π(10.5cm)^2 x 0.5cm = 55.12 cm^3 = 5.51 x 10^-5 m^3.

Plugging in our calculated values for u and V, we get U = (6.57 x 10^-5 J/m^3) x (5.51 x 10^-5 m^

1. What are charged concentric metal spheres?

Charged concentric metal spheres are two or more metal spheres that are placed inside of each other, with the inner sphere having a different charge than the outer sphere.

2. How do charged concentric metal spheres work?

The charged concentric metal spheres work by creating an electric field between the two spheres. The inner sphere, which has a different charge than the outer sphere, creates an electric field that extends to the outer sphere. This creates a potential difference between the two spheres, causing them to attract or repel each other.

3. What is the purpose of using charged concentric metal spheres?

The purpose of using charged concentric metal spheres is to demonstrate and study the principles of electrostatics. They can also be used in experiments to measure electric fields and potential differences, as well as to demonstrate the concept of capacitance.

4. How are charged concentric metal spheres charged?

Charged concentric metal spheres can be charged by using a voltage source, such as a battery, to apply a potential difference between the two spheres. The inner sphere is typically connected to the positive terminal of the voltage source, while the outer sphere is connected to the negative terminal.

5. What factors affect the strength of the electric field between charged concentric metal spheres?

The strength of the electric field between charged concentric metal spheres is affected by the magnitude of the charges on the spheres, the distance between the spheres, and the dielectric constant of the material between the spheres (if any). The greater the magnitude of the charges and the smaller the distance between the spheres, the stronger the electric field will be.