Should I pursue a double major or masters?

In summary, the individual plans to apply for med school in August but will have to wait a year. In the meantime, they are considering continuing to take classes to improve their GPA and strengthen their application for the following year. They have a current GPA of 3.415 and are wondering if pursuing a Master's degree or a second major would be a better option. The recommendation is to pursue a Master's degree as it will have a greater impact on their GPA and will be more beneficial for their application.
LebLlama
Im going to apply for med school this august. I'll have to wait a year. Instead of just graduating and sitting around, I was thinking I would continue taking classes. If anything, to continue to boost my GPA and make my application look better for next time in the event that I get rejected this time. my GPA right now is 3.415

What do you think? Masters or 2nd major?

Physics news on Phys.org
LebLlama said:
What do you think? Masters or 2nd major?
Masters. Your most recent degree gets weighed most heavily, and you'll start off on a clean slate GPA wise. At best, a 2nd major may bump up your gpa by a few points (not many 'cause you probably have a ton of credits already), and judging by what other people have said at this forum, nobody looks at the 2nd major.

1. Should I pursue a double major or masters?

The answer to this question depends on your individual goals and priorities. Pursuing a double major allows you to gain knowledge and skills in two different fields, while a masters degree offers in-depth expertise in one specific area. Consider what you want to achieve in your career and which option aligns better with your goals.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a double major?

Pursuing a double major can provide a well-rounded education and make you more marketable to employers. It also allows you to explore different interests and potentially combine them in your future career. Additionally, some universities offer combined programs that allow you to earn both degrees in a shorter amount of time.

3. What are the advantages of pursuing a masters degree?

Earning a masters degree can lead to higher salaries, career advancement opportunities, and specialized knowledge in a specific field. It also demonstrates dedication and commitment to your chosen field, and can make you more competitive in the job market.

4. Is it possible to pursue both a double major and masters degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue both a double major and a masters degree. However, it requires careful planning and time management as it can be a rigorous and time-consuming workload. It is important to consider if you are able to handle the workload and if it aligns with your overall goals.

5. How do I decide which option is best for me?

When deciding between a double major and masters degree, it is important to consider your interests, career goals, and personal circumstances. Research the requirements and potential career paths for each option, and speak with academic advisors and professionals in your desired field for advice. Ultimately, the decision should be based on what will best help you achieve your goals and fulfill your passions.