Solving Differential Equations with Mathematica DSolve

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter jinbaw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, the speaker is asking for help with using the Dsolve function in Mathematica to solve a system of differential equations. They are concerned that the run is taking too long without producing any results and are wondering if there may be something wrong with their equations or if Mathematica is unable to solve them. They also mention that the equations are not simple. The speaker has found that if a solution is not found within 10 minutes, it is unlikely to be found overnight. They also suggest checking the kernel process and memory usage to determine the cause of the long run time.
jinbaw
Hi Guys,
I'm trying to solve a system of differential equations using the Dsolve function of mathematica. The run is taking too much time without giving any results (2 or 3 days)... does that mean that there's something wrong in my equations? or that mathematica is unable to solve it? or is it possible for the run to take that much time and i'd better wait more? thanks in advance for your help!
P.S. the equations are not simple

Physics news on Phys.org
I have found that if it doesn't find a solution within 10 min then it was not going to find a solution overnight. I haven't tried beyond that.

However, on an older version of Mathematica I did have one circumstance where the equation could be calculated in the kernel just fine, but then outputting the results to the screen would take a really long time and eventually the notebook process overran the memory.

I would check if it is your kernel process which is taking so long or your notebook process. Then I would check your memory usage, if it is going this long then it probably has gone into virtual memory but has not overrun the pagefile. So it may be a calculation that has a reasonable chance of running successfully given enough ram.

1. How does Mathematica DSolve work?

Mathematica DSolve uses advanced algorithms and symbolic computation to find exact solutions to differential equations. It can handle a wide range of differential equations, including ordinary and partial differential equations.

2. Can Mathematica DSolve handle systems of differential equations?

Yes, Mathematica DSolve can handle systems of differential equations. It has the ability to solve coupled differential equations with multiple dependent variables.

3. Are there any limitations to using Mathematica DSolve for solving differential equations?

Mathematica DSolve may not be able to find exact solutions for all types of differential equations. It may also struggle with very complex or highly non-linear equations. In these cases, numerical methods may be a better option.

4. How accurate are the solutions obtained from Mathematica DSolve?

The solutions obtained from Mathematica DSolve are exact, meaning they are not approximations. However, the accuracy of the solutions depends on the accuracy of the initial conditions and the precision settings used in the computation.

5. Can Mathematica DSolve handle boundary value problems?

Yes, Mathematica DSolve can handle boundary value problems, where the values of the dependent variables are specified at certain points or intervals. It can also handle initial value problems, where the values of the dependent variables are specified at a single point.