Magnetic field of long parallel straight wires

In summary, the question asks about the magnetic field along the y-axis due to two infinitely long parallel wires carrying currents in opposite directions. The formula for B is given as μIa/∏(a²+y²), and as y increases, B decreases and approaches zero.
sweetdion

Homework Statement

Two infinitely long parallel straight wires carry currents in the +- z direction as shwn in the figure below. Each wire is located on the x-axis a distance of a from the origin.

a) Determine B as a function of y along the line x=0
b) Sketch a graph of B vs. y along the line x=0, including all values of y.

Homework Equations

B=u0I/2PiR

The Attempt at a Solution

for part a i get u0I/PiR
for part b as y increases, B decreases because they're inversely related?

Physics news on Phys.org
sweetdion said:

Homework Equations

B=u0I/2PiR

The Attempt at a Solution

for part a i get u0I/PiR
Not quite. It looks like you're calculating B at the origin (x=y=0) only, but you need to find B all along the y-axis, as a function of y. So you should get some expression that has y in it.

for part b as y increases, B decreases because they're inversely related?
For this, you'll need to get part (a) done correctly first, then you can sketch the function you get for (a).

well if one current is flowing in the +z direction and one is flowing in the -z direction the magnetic field is the following:

B=μI/2∏ {[(-y/(x-a)²+y²)+(y/(x+a)²+y²)]ihat + [(x-a/(x-a)²+y²)+(x+a/(x+a)²+y²)]jhat

If we let x equal 0 and reduce, we get B = μIa/∏(a²+y²)

I just know this from the answer in the back of my book, and I have no idea how they get it. :(

From this equation you can deduce the graph. As y goes to infinity it seems as if B goes to zero. Correct?

Last edited:
sweetdion said:
well if one current is flowing in the +z direction and one is flowing in the -z direction the magnetic field is the following:

B=μI/2∏ {[(-y/(x-a)²+y²)+(y/(x+a)²+y²)]ihat + [(x-a/(x-a)²+y²)+(x+a/(x+a)²+y²)]jhat

If we let x equal 0 and reduce, we get B = μIa/∏(a²+y²)

I just know this from the answer in the back of my book, and I have no idea how they get it. :(
How about B due to a single wire, do you know that?
From this equation you can deduce the graph. As y goes to infinity it seems as if B goes to zero. Correct?
Yes.

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces are present. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and is represented by lines of force.

How is the magnetic field of long parallel straight wires calculated?

The magnetic field of long parallel straight wires is calculated using the formula B = μ0I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the wire, and r is the distance from the wire.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field of long parallel straight wires is affected by the current flowing through the wires, the distance from the wires, and the permeability of the material surrounding the wires.

How does the direction of the current affect the magnetic field?

The direction of the current in the wires determines the direction of the magnetic field. The magnetic field lines will be clockwise if the current is flowing in the same direction in both wires, and counterclockwise if the current is flowing in opposite directions.

Can the magnetic field of long parallel straight wires be manipulated?

Yes, the magnetic field of long parallel straight wires can be manipulated by changing the current flow or by introducing magnetic materials into the surrounding space. This is the basis for many applications, such as electromagnets and electric motors.