Abstract Algebra: Find Generators & Relations for Z2+Z2+Z2

In summary, the minimum number of generators needed for Z2+Z2+Z2 is three. A possible set of generators for this group is {a,b,c}, with the relations a^2=b^2=c^2=e. However, this is not enough as the group with this presentation is infinite. Additional relations are needed to make the group abelian.
tyrannosaurus

Homework Statement

What is the minimum number of generators needed for Z2+Z2+Z2? Find a set of generators and relations for this group.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it is obvious that the minimum amount of generators that you need is three, with Z2+Z2+Z2 = {a,b,c|a^2=b^2=c^2} but I don't know what I have to put down for the relations in the group and I am not sure how to explain that the minimum is 3 generators. Any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not 'obvious' that the minimal number of generators is three until you explain why you think it is. And I have no idea what Z2+Z2+Z2 = {a,b,c|a^2=b^2=c^2} is supposed to mean. Can you explain?

To show that you can't have two generators: what do you know about the order of elements in the group?

In terms of the relations, you definitely need more than just a^2=b^2=c^2=e since the group with that presentation is infinite. What about relations to make the group abelian?

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields. It deals with abstract concepts and properties that are applicable to a wide range of mathematical objects.

2. What does it mean to find generators and relations for a group?

In abstract algebra, a group is a set of elements that follow certain rules of combination, and generators and relations are used to describe how those elements can be manipulated. Finding generators and relations for a group involves identifying the minimum number of elements (generators) and rules (relations) that are needed to generate all the elements in the group.

3. How do you find generators and relations for Z2+Z2+Z2?

Z2+Z2+Z2, also known as the direct product of three copies of the cyclic group Z2, is a finite group with 8 elements. To find generators for this group, we can choose any two non-identity elements from Z2 and combine them with the identity element to form three ordered pairs. These ordered pairs will serve as generators for Z2+Z2+Z2. As for relations, we can define specific rules of combination between the generators that will generate all the elements in the group.

4. What is the significance of finding generators and relations for a group?

Finding generators and relations for a group allows us to understand the structure of the group and its elements. It also helps us to identify patterns and properties that may be shared among different groups, leading to a deeper understanding of abstract algebra concepts.

5. Can generators and relations be used to solve problems in other areas of mathematics?

Yes, generators and relations can be used to solve problems in various areas of mathematics, such as number theory, geometry, and topology. They provide a powerful tool for understanding and analyzing mathematical structures and their properties.