Athletes who can make themselves feel cold/heat on command

• Thread starter fourier jr
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the ability of some athletes and monks to control their body temperature and bodily functions through mental powers. The suggestion is to start with meditation and focus on one thing, such as breathing or muscle relaxation. With practice, one can access deeper levels of consciousness and potentially influence bodily functions. Resources such as books and websites on meditation can provide more information on this topic.
fourier jr
I've heard of athletes who can make themselves feel cold/heat on command, or make themselves sweat on command, etc. I wonder how you can do that. My old coach told me that when he was an athlete he would light a candle & concentrate on it for hours on end, and then when he finished he said it felt like only 10mins. I remember he said something about the mind's eye. I guess if you had a dirty mind you could do other stuff too. I wonder if there are any books, sites, etc that could send me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are some monks who can sit around in sub zero temperatures for hours in their underwear because of their amazing mental powers.

I would start with meditation. Sit still and focus on only one thing, and whenever your mind wanders, direct it back to that thing. I like to focus on only breathing and muscle relaxation. When you access those deep levels of conciousness I'm sure that you can influence bodily functions, but it probably would take a lot of practice. Eventually you can start triggering these levels or states during normal conscious situations, like just before the football game.

The library and net have tons of info about meditation.

It is fascinating to hear about athletes who have the ability to control their body's response to temperature. This is known as autonomic self-regulation and it involves a strong mind-body connection. While some people may have a natural ability to do this, it can also be learned and developed through techniques such as meditation and visualization.

Your coach's method of focusing on a candle for hours is a form of meditation that can help with autonomic self-regulation. By concentrating on one object, the mind is able to enter a state of deep relaxation and control over the body's response to external stimuli. This can lead to a sense of time distortion, as your coach experienced, where hours feel like minutes.

There are many resources available that can help you learn and develop this skill. Books on meditation, mindfulness, and biofeedback can provide valuable information and techniques. Additionally, websites and apps focused on mindfulness and relaxation can be helpful in guiding you through the process.

It is important to note that while this ability can be useful for athletes, it should not be used for anything other than personal physical and mental well-being. The mind is a powerful tool, and it is important to use it responsibly. I encourage you to explore these resources and techniques under the guidance of a trained professional. Best of luck on your journey towards autonomic self-regulation.

1. What is the scientific explanation for athletes who can make themselves feel cold/heat on command?

The ability to regulate one's body temperature is controlled by the autonomic nervous system, which is responsible for involuntary bodily functions. Athletes who can make themselves feel cold/heat on command have developed the ability to consciously control this system through mental techniques and training.

2. Is this ability genetic or can anyone learn it?

While there may be a genetic component that contributes to an individual's ability to regulate their body temperature, it is primarily a learned skill. With proper training and practice, anyone can learn to control their body temperature to some extent, although the level of control may vary from person to person.

3. How do athletes train to develop this ability?

Athletes typically train through techniques such as meditation, visualization, and biofeedback. These methods allow them to develop a heightened sense of awareness and control over their autonomic nervous system, enabling them to regulate their body temperature at will.

4. Are there any potential risks or side effects of being able to control body temperature?

While this ability is generally considered safe, there may be some risks or side effects if not practiced properly. For example, if an individual tries to lower their body temperature too quickly, it can lead to hypothermia. It is important for athletes to train under the guidance of a qualified instructor and to listen to their body's signals.

5. Can this ability be useful in sports or other activities?

Yes, athletes who can control their body temperature may have an advantage in sports that require endurance in extreme temperatures, such as long-distance running or swimming. It can also be useful in activities like meditation or cold-water therapy, where being able to regulate body temperature can enhance the experience and provide health benefits.