Center of Symmetric Groups n>= 3 is trivial

In summary, the question is asking to show that in symmetric groups with n>=3, the only permutation that is commutative is the identity permutation. The attempt at a solution involved showing that there will always exist a permutation that is not commutative by considering compositions of permutations that move elements to different places. The concept of conjugation was mentioned, but it is not necessary for the solution. Instead, a permutation cycle with elements in {1,...n} can be used to show a permutation that does not commute with it.
Metahominid

Homework Statement

The question is to show that the for symmetric groups, Sn with n>=3, the only permutation that is commutative is the identity permutation.

Homework Equations

I didn't know if it was necessary but this equates to saying the center is the trivial group.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was attempting to show that there will always exist a permutation that isn't commutative for a particular one, which I was figuring would be showing there can be permutations that move an element to different places so their compositions would be different.

Physics news on Phys.org
If u and v are permutations, then uv=vu is the same thing as uvu-1=v. So if v is in the center of Sn, then conjugating v by any other element doesn't change v. Do you know what the conjugates of an element of Sn look like?

No I do not, I don't think we have covered conjugation.

Metahominid said:
No I do not, I don't think we have covered conjugation.

You don't need it. Your first approach was fine. Sn contains a permutation cycle (x1,x2,x3) where x1,x2 and x3 are in {1,...n}. Write down a permutation that doesn't commute with it.

What is the center of symmetric groups for n>=3?

The center of symmetric groups for n>=3 is a subgroup that contains all elements that commute with every element in the group. In other words, it is the set of elements that remain unchanged when multiplied by any element in the group.

Why is the center of symmetric groups for n>=3 considered trivial?

The center of symmetric groups for n>=3 is considered trivial because it only contains the identity element, which commutes with all other elements in the group. This means that there are no other elements in the center, making it a trivial subgroup.

How does the triviality of the center of symmetric groups for n>=3 affect the group?

The triviality of the center of symmetric groups for n>=3 means that the group is not abelian, as there are no non-identity elements that commute with all other elements. This has implications for the structure and properties of the group.

Are there any other non-trivial subgroups in the center of symmetric groups for n>=3?

No, there are no other non-trivial subgroups in the center of symmetric groups for n>=3. The center only contains the identity element, making it a trivial subgroup.

What is the significance of the center of symmetric groups for n>=3 in the study of group theory?

The center of symmetric groups for n>=3 is an important concept in group theory, as it helps to classify and understand the structure of groups. The triviality of the center in symmetric groups for n>=3 is also used in the proof of certain theorems and properties related to group theory.