Calculate point on line, perpendicular and intersecting another line in 3d space

In summary, the speaker is asking for help in finding the minimum distance between two lines in 3d space. They have the coordinates and direction vectors for both lines, as well as the distance between them. The solution involves writing the lines as parametric functions and using a quadratic equation to find the minimum distance. If the lines are not parallel, unique values for the parameters can be found and used to determine the points on the lines. If the lines are parallel, there are infinitely many lines connecting them at minimum distance. The speaker suggests looking in a textbook for further guidance.
WLamers
Hello All,

I am looking for a way to find a point on a line (eg. line 1). This line has a perpendicular which has an intersection with another line in 3d space (line 2).

I have the coordinates of line 1 and 2 and their direction vectors (lines have an infinite length). I also have the distance between the two lines. Can anybody help me with this problem?

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is fairly straight-forward to find the minimum distance between to parametric lines. Write the two lines as a function of, say, parameters s and t. Calculate the squared distance between the two lines will give a quadratic function in s and t which can be differentiated and equated to zero. This gives two equations in the two unknowns s and t which can be solved for unique s and t if the lines are not parallel (the vector product of the two direction vectors must be non-zero). These values can be inserted into the parametric lines to find the actual points. If the lines are parallel there are infinitely many lines connecting them at minimum distance, so you can choose one parameters, say s = 0, and insert this in either of the two equations from which t can be found.

If you can positively state that this is not homework, I you can probably persuade me (or someone else here) to write up the actual calculations following from the above procedure. Or you could try look it up in a textbook on geometry or computer graphics where this is a commonly described problem.

1. What is the formula for calculating a point on a line in 3D space?

The formula for calculating a point on a line in 3D space is P = P0 + t * V, where P is the point on the line, P0 is a known point on the line, t is a scalar value, and V is a vector representing the direction of the line.

2. How do you determine if a line is perpendicular to another line in 3D space?

To determine if a line is perpendicular to another line in 3D space, you can use the dot product of the two lines. If the dot product is equal to zero, then the lines are perpendicular. The dot product is calculated by multiplying the x, y, and z components of the two lines and then adding them together.

3. What is the process for finding the intersection point of two lines in 3D space?

The process for finding the intersection point of two lines in 3D space is to set the equations for the two lines equal to each other and solve for the variables. This will give you the coordinates of the intersection point, which is the point where the two lines intersect in 3D space.

4. Can you calculate a point on a line that does not intersect another line in 3D space?

Yes, it is possible to calculate a point on a line that does not intersect another line in 3D space. This point would be located on the line but would not be the intersection point with the other line. You can use the formula P = P0 + t * V to calculate a point on a line, where P0 is a known point on the line and t is a scalar value.

5. Is it necessary to have three dimensions to calculate a point on a line, perpendicular and intersecting another line?

Yes, it is necessary to have three dimensions to calculate a point on a line, perpendicular and intersecting another line. This is because in 3D space, a line is defined by a point and a direction, and the intersection of two lines can only be accurately determined in three-dimensional space.