Solving Algebraic Expressions: Confused with One Step | Need Help

• Thread starter vande060
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
This will get rid of the fractions, and you will have a quadratic equation to solve.In summary, the conversation is about a step in a Doppler effect problem that the person is struggling with. They are trying to solve two different expressions (1.052 = (1-x/340)/(1 + x/340) and 200 = [4000/(1-x/340)] - [4000/(1+x/340)]) but they are unsure how to do so. The first expression may be a quadratic equation and the second one may require multiplying by the LCD and solving a quadratic equation.
vande060

Homework Statement

this is a step I ran across in a Doppler effect problem, it might be late but I just don't know why I am stumped here

there are two different, routes I can take with this problem and they both give me expressions I don't know how to solve. I would like to know how to solve them both, so I will post both. thank you for your time

1.052 = (1-x/340)/(1 + x/340)

and

200 = [4000/(1-x/340)] - [4000/(1+x/340)]

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

ive done the rest of the problem, just don't get this step. is it a quadratic maybe?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So is the 1st one this?
[tex]1.052 = \frac{1-x/340}{1 + x/340}[/tex]

If so, multiply both sides by the denominator, then multiply both sides by 340. You should then have a linear equation with no fractions.

For the 2nd, please double check your typing. Does the 1st 4000 have a slash afterward and the 2nd 4000 doesn't?

eumyang said:
So is the 1st one this?
[tex]1.052 = \frac{1-x/340}{1 + x/340}[/tex]

If so, multiply both sides by the denominator, then multiply both sides by 340. You should then have a linear equation with no fractions.

For the 2nd, please double check your typing. Does the 1st 4000 have a slash afterward and the 2nd 4000 doesn't?

second one should too sorry, i will edit now

1.052 + 1.052x/340 = 1-x/340

357.68 + 1.052x = 340 - x

x = -8.615 right?

Last edited:
vande060 said:
second one should too sorry, i will edit now

1.052 + 1.052x/340 = 1-x/340

357.68 + 1.052x = 340 - x

x = -8.615 right?

Well, my rounded answer was -8.616, but that assumes that 1.052 is not rounded.

So, does the 2nd one look like this?
[tex]200 = \frac{4000}{1-x/340} - \frac{4000}{1+x/340}[/tex]

If so, I would start by multiplying each fraction by 340/340. Then multiply both sides of the equation by the LCD of the two denominators.

What is "Little help with one algebra step"?

"Little help with one algebra step" is a common phrase used to ask for assistance with a specific algebra problem or step in an algebraic equation. It usually implies that the person is struggling with a particular step and is seeking guidance or clarification.

What are some common algebra steps that people may need help with?

Some common algebra steps that people may need help with include solving for a variable, simplifying expressions, factoring polynomials, and solving equations with multiple steps.

How can I get help with one algebra step?

There are several ways to get help with one algebra step. You can ask a friend, family member, or classmate who is knowledgeable in algebra for assistance. You can also seek help from a tutor or teacher, either in person or online. Additionally, there are many online resources and forums where you can post your question and receive help from others.

Why is it important to understand each algebra step?

Understanding each algebra step is crucial to solving equations accurately. Algebra is built upon a series of steps, and if you miss or misunderstand one step, it can lead to incorrect answers. Additionally, understanding each step will help you in solving more complex algebraic equations in the future.

How can I improve my algebra skills and understanding of algebra steps?

Practice is key to improving your algebra skills and understanding of algebra steps. Make sure to complete assigned homework and practice problems, and seek help when needed. You can also use online resources, such as tutorials and practice problems, to further enhance your understanding of algebra steps.