How can I simplify this equation and see the connection between #5 and #7?

• Thread starter SyntheticVisions
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplifying
In summary, the conversation was about simplifying an algebraic expression in order to use L'Hospital's Rule to solve a calculus problem. The different methods discussed included differentiation, substitution, and rationalization. All three methods led to the same solution of -1/2 as the limit of the expression as x approaches 0.
SyntheticVisions
Technically this is a calculus problem I'm working on, but I'm just having problems with the Algebra portion.

If I have:

[tex](\frac{1}{x\sqrt{1+x}} - \frac{1}{x})[/tex]

How can I simply this so that I can substitute in 0 for x?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You want to get this in a form for the use of L'Hospital's Rule: [tex]\frac{1-\sqrt{1+x}}{x(\sqrt{1+x})}[/tex]

In this form we see that as [tex]x\rightarrow0[/tex] the quotient is undefined, so we can differentiate and simplify.

Last edited:
We haven't gone into differentiation or anything like that, is there another way?

Actually, the problem that I'm trying to figure out is

lim
x -> 0 of the expression above.

edit: For clarification - it's not for homework, it's just a problem I'm trying to figure out.

Last edited:
I don't know any other way to do this problem. This is how you do it using the Calculus. You differentiate and get:

[tex]\frac{[-2\sqrt{1+x}]^-1}{(2+3x)[2\sqrt{1+x}]^-1}=\frac{-1}{2+3x}\rightarrow \frac{-1}{2} ...as... x \rightarrow 0[/tex]

Last edited:
The substitution

[tex]t=\sqrt{1+x}[/tex]

simplifies the function to

[tex]-\frac{1}{(1+t)t}[/tex]

The limit of this as t goes to 1 is -1/2.

Fredrik said:
The substitution

[tex]t=\sqrt{1+x}[/tex]

simplifies the function to

[tex]-\frac{1}{(1+t)t}[/tex]

The limit of this as t goes to 1 is -1/2.

That looks like a better way!

To add yet another way, rationalize the numerator. Multiply

[tex]\frac{1-\sqrt{1+x}}{x(\sqrt{1+x})}[/tex]

by

[tex]\frac{1+\sqrt{1+x}}{1+\sqrt{1+x}}[/tex]

to get

[tex]\frac{-x}{x(\sqrt{1+x})(1+\sqrt{1+x})}[/tex]

and go from there.

And finally see that #5 and #7 are really doing the same thing.

They's both making use of the fact that x can be factored as [itex]-(1-\sqrt{1+x})(1+\sqrt{1+x}) [/itex]

What is the purpose of simplifying an equation?

Simplifying an equation means reducing it to its most basic form. This makes it easier to understand and work with, and can also help to find solutions or patterns.

What are the steps to simplify an equation?

The steps to simplify an equation include combining like terms, using the distributive property, simplifying fractions, and writing the equation in standard form.

Why is it important to check your work when simplifying an equation?

Checking your work ensures that you have simplified the equation correctly and have not made any mistakes. It also helps to catch any potential errors or typos that may have been made during the simplification process.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying an equation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying an equation include forgetting to distribute negative signs, incorrectly applying the order of operations, and forgetting to simplify fractions.

Can an equation be simplified in multiple ways?

Yes, there are often multiple ways to simplify an equation. It is important to choose the most efficient and accurate method for your specific equation, and to double check your work to ensure the final simplified form is correct.