Core Collapse of Massive Stars

In summary, the speaker is seeking help in writing a report on Core Collapse of Massive Stars for their discipline Stellar Structure and Evolution. They have searched for information but have not found anything relevant. They ask for suggestions on topics to include in the report and are referred to a link on hyper-giants and the iron production process. They also mention finding papers on arxiv and specifically ask for topics related to neutrino creation and effects. Another person suggests reading Kippenhan and Bohm-Vitense for more information.
tonysilva
Hello everydody.

Well i need to write a repor (5 pages maximum) about Core Collapse of Massive Stars to my discipline Stellar Structure and Evolution .
The problem is that i have read some books like https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387580131/?tag=pfamazon01-20 and i have no ideias.
I gained acess to SAO/NASA Astrophysics Data System (ADS) to find some papers about this theme and nothing relevant appears.

Please send me some topics to discuss on the report.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi there,
By massive stars I assume you're referring to hyper-giants?
If so I could post down a link instead of me going through the whole process for I may miss some important information.
Here you may find this handy:
http://outreach.atnf.csiro.au/education/senior/cosmicengine/stars_types.html#startypesupergiants"
But as you have mentioned that you need to gather about five pages of information,this may do a little.

Regards,
ibysaiyan

Plenty of paper at arxiv on this topic.

By massive stars I assume you're referring to hyper-giants?

Upper 6-10 Solar masses. When the star have sufficient mass to reach the iron production. And finish in a supernova.

Chronos said:
Plenty of paper at arxiv on this topic.

The SAO/NASA Astrophysics Data System (ADS) encompass arvix papers.

I find some papers. Click http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3185044/noname"

But i only want some topics to discuss like neutrino criation and effects

Regards,

Tony Silva

There are many papers on arxiv that do not appear in the ADS database.

Well,

I think that reading Kippenhan and Bohm-Vitense you should have had some idea! Everything you need is there.

1. What is the "Core Collapse of Massive Stars"?

The "Core Collapse of Massive Stars" refers to the final stage of a massive star's life where it runs out of fuel and can no longer produce enough energy to sustain its own weight. This results in the core of the star collapsing under its own gravity, leading to a supernova explosion.

2. How does a massive star's core collapse?

A massive star's core collapse occurs when it runs out of nuclear fuel and can no longer produce enough energy to counteract the force of gravity. As the core collapses, the temperature and pressure increase, triggering a series of nuclear reactions and causing the star to explode.

3. What happens during a core collapse supernova?

During a core collapse supernova, the outer layers of the star are ejected at high speeds, while the inner layers collapse to form either a neutron star or a black hole. The explosion also releases a tremendous amount of energy, making it one of the brightest events in the universe.

4. What is the role of neutrinos in the core collapse of massive stars?

Neutrinos play a crucial role in the core collapse of massive stars. As the core collapses, the temperature and density increase, causing a massive release of neutrinos. These neutrinos carry away a significant amount of energy, helping to power the explosion and shaping the characteristics of the resulting supernova.

5. Are all massive stars destined to undergo core collapse?

No, not all massive stars will undergo core collapse. The fate of a massive star depends on its initial mass, rotation rate, and composition. Only stars with masses greater than about eight times that of our sun will undergo core collapse, while smaller stars will eventually fade into white dwarfs without a supernova explosion.