What is the force between the two (AC) current carrying conductors?)

In summary, the force between two AC current carrying conductors can be evaluated using the quasi-stationary approximation, as long as the distance between the wires is small compared to the typical wavelength of the AC. However, in cases of quickly changing currents or large arrays of wires, retardation needs to be taken into account.
rampriya1729
what is the force between the two (AC) current carrying conductors??)

in case of dc currents,they repel or attract when the two conductors carry current in the same or opposite direction,what about two wires carrying ac currents.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org

That can be a difficult question to answer. As long as the distance of the wires is small compared to the typical wavelength [itex]\lambda=2 \pi c/\omega[/itex], where [itex]\omega[/itex] is the angular frequency of the AC, you can evaluate the force from the mentary currents as if you had a stationary problem. This is known as the quasi-stationary approximation. In the general case, i.e., for quickly changing currents and/or large arrays of wires (antennae), you have to take into account retardation, i.e., you have to take into account the finite time an em. signal needs to take effect.

What is the force between two current-carrying conductors?

The force between two current-carrying conductors is known as the magnetic force. It is the attractive or repulsive force between two conductors due to the interaction of their magnetic fields.

How is the force between two conductors calculated?

The force between two conductors can be calculated using the formula F = (μ₀*I₁*I₂*L)/(2π*r), where μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I₁ and I₂ are the currents flowing through the conductors, L is the length of the conductors, and r is the distance between them.

Does the force between two conductors depend on the direction of current flow?

Yes, the force between two conductors depends on the direction of current flow. If the currents are flowing in the same direction, the force will be attractive, and if they are flowing in opposite directions, the force will be repulsive.

What is the relationship between the force and the distance between two conductors?

The force between two conductors is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the conductors increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.

Can the force between two conductors be increased?

Yes, the force between two conductors can be increased by increasing the current flowing through the conductors or by decreasing the distance between them. Altering the permeability of the medium between the conductors can also affect the force.