Efficiently Simulating N Particle Systems in FORTRAN: Tips and Tricks

In summary, the conversation revolves around simulating a multiparticle system using FORTRAN and the best way to write out data for each particle without having to create a WRITE statement for each one individually. Suggestions include using a linked list for a large number of particles and choosing a suitable data format for visualization, such as comma-separated or tab-separated data for use in programs like Excel. The use of a GUI also depends on the intended graphics program for visualization.
morenogabr
When simulating N particles in FORTRAN:

- How do I declare x,y,z,vx,vy,vz for arbitrarily large number of particles N?
- How do I write out data for each particle without N write statements?

I intend to have a time-step do loop with a particle do loop inside so that at each time step I cycle through each particle, do the computation, and update the data.

Physics news on Phys.org
Writing numerical data for multiparticle system

I am simulating a multiparticle system using FORTRAN language. But my question is a general programming question regarding how to write data.

I am using a loop to cycle through a number of particles, and running a numerical computation and writing out data at each time step. So a particle loop with a time loop inside of it so that each particles trajectory over all time is calculated one particle at a time.

My question is simply:
-How can I use the loop index referring to the particle in a WRITE statement so that for each particle I open a new data file, without having to create a WRITE statement for each particle individually?

-Would it be easier to write all the data into one data file, just having the write statement tab over after each particle or something like that?

Theoretically, I need to be able to take that data file to a graphics program and visualize it from raw data. No GUI.

I'll answer in general terms, since it's been forever since I programmed in FORTRAN.

You cannot use an array for an "arbitrarily large number of particles". You would need to create a datastructure like a linked list, which you can grow and shrink as needed.

What "No GUI" graphics program do you intend to use to visualize the data? That will start to determine what format you use when you write out the data.

You could use something as simple as Excel to visualize the data, if you write it out as comma-separated or tab-separated data, one line of data (for all of the particles) per time slice.

1. What is a "N particle system"?

A N particle system is a simulation of a group of objects, or particles, interacting with each other according to a set of rules. These particles can represent anything from atoms and molecules to stars and galaxies.

2. What is the purpose of simulating a N particle system?

The purpose of simulating a N particle system is to understand and study the behavior of complex systems that involve numerous interacting particles. This can provide insights into real-world phenomena, such as the behavior of gases, fluids, and celestial bodies.

3. What are the key components of a N particle system simulation?

The key components of a N particle system simulation include the initial conditions of the particles (such as position, velocity, and mass), the forces that act on the particles, and the integration method used to calculate the particles' positions and velocities over time.

4. How is a N particle system simulated?

A N particle system is simulated by using numerical methods to calculate the positions and velocities of the particles at discrete time steps. This involves calculating the forces between particles using mathematical equations and using an integration method, such as the Euler method or Runge-Kutta method, to update the particles' positions and velocities.

5. What are some challenges in simulating a N particle system?

Some challenges in simulating a N particle system include dealing with large numbers of particles, accurately modeling the forces between particles, and choosing an appropriate integration method to ensure accuracy and stability of the simulation. Additionally, simulating systems with particles of vastly different masses or sizes can also present challenges.