What's the best browser for you?

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
In summary: I still used Netscape 7.0 (from about 2003) occasionally, till my PC hard disk died a few weeks ago and it went to the great recycling bin in the sky.Netscape 7.0 is no longer supported, but Firefox 3.6 is.Microsoft have managed to put most of the same functionality in IE 8, except N7 ran quicker and looked pretter.IE 8 has a lot of the same features as IE 7, but it runs faster.Mozilla is winningMozilla Firefox is the best browser because it is free, has a lot of features, and is open source.

Which browser you use?

• Internet Explorer

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Google chrome

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Mozilla Firefox

Votes: 38 56.7%
  • Opera

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Netscape Navigator

• Safari

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Mozilla SeaMonkey

• Camino

• OmniWeb

• iCab

• Konqueror

• Epiphany

• Total voters
Saitama
Just for the sake of fun! Let's see which browser wins.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have neglected an option for "more than one" so I have no answer for you.

Looked at from various points of view, each of the browsers can be either (1) really useful or (2) total crap, so I use more than one.

phinds said:

Looked at from various points of view, each of the browsers can be either (1) really useful or (2) total crap, so I use more than one.

How can i edit the poll?

phinds said:

So post your answer as a post! :wink:

Is Netscape still around? I thought Netscape morphed into Firefox.

Pranav-Arora said:
How can i edit the poll?
For some reason the option to allow mutiple choice is lost once the poll has posted.

I use firefox, but I have noticed that it crashes ALOT after it's most recent update. It used to be light and fast, now it's a huge memory eating program, I simply don't know what to switch to, so this thread is very relevant to my interests.

I had a Mother Goose relationship with Internet Exploder (you stick with the one you grew up with) but I have finally gotten sick of it.

I'm switching to Firefox (or maybe Chrome, we'll see).

Chi Meson said:
Is Netscape still around? I thought Netscape morphed into Firefox.

I still used Netscape 7.0 (from about 2003) occasionally, till my PC hard disk died a few weeks ago and it went to the great recycling bin in the sky.

Microsoft have managed to put most of the same functionality in IE 8, except N7 ran quicker and looked pretter.

Wow! Mozilla is winning
I thought Chrome would win.

DaveC426913 said:
I had a Mother Goose relationship with Internet Exploder (you stick with the one you grew up with) but I have finally gotten sick of it.

I'm switching to Firefox (or maybe Chrome, we'll see).

Chrome is much better, Firefox crashes a lot of time and its really annoying.
Firefox is my past and Chrome is my present. :biggrin:

Here's my 2 cents:

Firefox has the most functionality and is the most user friendly.
Chrome is the smallest and fastest.
Safari is for Mac users.
Internet Explorer is the standard set by Microsoft and there are still web sites that only work (properly) on IE. It's also the slowest.

I prefer chrome because of its simplicity, yet it too chrases but not as much as firefox. :smile:
The great advantage of Firefox that it has a lot of add-ons compatible with it to play around.:wink:
And IE...hmm :yuck:

I like Serena said:
Safari is for Mac users.

Safari is available for Windows too.

I like Serena said:
Safari is for Mac users.

Pranav-Arora said:
Safari is available for Windows too.

And a lot of Mac users use Firefox (yo!).

Safari is "OOH la LAH!" pretty, but Firefox has been the most consistently working and workable software I have encountered. Nothing against Chrome, haven' tried it yet.

By the way, Firefox doesn't crash on me. Sometimes it hiccups, and puts up a window that says "Well, this is embarrassing..." and then apologizes for something that went wrong. Very endearing.

Chi Meson said:
Safari is "OOH la LAH!" pretty

I guess I should have said: Safari is the prettiest. :smile:

QuarkCharmer said:
I use firefox, but I have noticed that it crashes ALOT after it's most recent update. It used to be light and fast, now it's a huge memory eating program, I simply don't know what to switch to, so this thread is very relevant to my interests.
That's hard to believe. What is your most recent update. It should be Firefox 5.0. It's a screamer compared to Firefox 3. And I have yet to have any crashes. What trouble are you having? My operating system is Windows 7 but I don't see that as an advantage as Firefox programmers are very diligent with making it compatible with most OSs IMO.

I did have a situation where the right scroll bar would sometimes refresh and leave stuff between the slider and the right edge of the window, but I asked the question on their forum and receive a solution the next day, which was to turn off/ un-check the "use hardware acceleration when available" in the tools advanced options. Personally I think this version is the best yet.

Last edited:
WTH! No one uses Opera! :eek:

Well, there are definitely advantages of open source - you can get many, many improvements as is the case in Firefox. It's probably one of the best known open source programs around there. Sadly, other good stuff which is open source, eg, Ubuntu (Linux), isn't bought up as much.

Pranav-Arora said:
WTH! No one uses Opera! :eek:
I believe Borek uses it among others. IIRC

Chrome, rarely firefox, safari on Mac/iPhone

Looking at the poll result,I think I might have to try mozilla now :approve:

Interesting.

In the thread where the history of physicsforums is given (I forget where it was), there's also statistics about the browsers members use.
And the PF server would collect data like that I think.
Anyway, it said that the majority of browsers was IE.

EDIT: Found the history link. It's in the signature of dlgoff :rofl:
https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=83So has that changed?
Or do we mostly see non-IE voters here?

I'd be interested what the PF server statistics say now...
As an aside, I see that Borek has not been along yet, who's using Opera IIRC.
Since he's an admin now, perhaps he could find out...
Or we might see, that almost everyone is using Opera! :smile:

Btw, firefox is definitely my preferred browser!

Last edited:
ILSe, the heavy IE usage is probably from the people who show up through Google searches...

---------------------------------

Personally, I use Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome about 50/50. I voted Firefox since I've used it longer, but I really like Chrome. I wish it had better addon support.

IE, on the other hand, needs to be doused in kerosene and lit on fire for the sake of the internets.

dlgoff said:
That's hard to believe. What is your most recent update. It should be Firefox 5.0. It's a screamer compared to Firefox 3. And I have yet to have any crashes. What trouble are you having? My operating system is Windows 7 but I don't see that as an advantage as Firefox programmers are very diligent with making it compatible with most OSs IMO.

I did have a situation where the right scroll bar would sometimes refresh and leave stuff between the slider and the right edge of the window, but I asked the question on their forum and receive a solution the next day, which was to turn off/ un-check the "use hardware acceleration when available" in the tools advanced options. Personally I think this version is the best yet.

I have Firefox 3.6 on the lappy and it never crashes. I assume it's the same version on the desktop at home.

I use FF since screwing up IE on an update last year. Chrome sucks.

Jack21222 said:
I have Firefox 3.6 on the lappy and it never crashes. I assume it's the same version on the desktop at home.

At first I didn't want to upgrade to 5.0 as I didn't like the new look. But it turns out that you have plenty of control to customize and can make it look like 3.6. Now I'm glad I upgraded,

Curious, but are there any other old-timers out there who used "Webcrawler"?

Evidently it's still around as a "metasearch," but back in the 90s, before Netcape, it was the thing to use when us Compuserve folks wanted to venture outside the gates.

I use firefox for the greasemonkey tweaks etc. some people I know have set up for some certain sites.

NCSA Mosaic 1.0.

I agree with Phinds. I voted for Safari because that is the only one that I ever use under normal circumstances. That is under Leopard on this here Intel MacBook. It also holds Firefox, Chrome, and Opera, but I've never used anyone of those. My 2 G-3's and my 200c have Explorer and Netscape. Netscape is the second most useless thing that I've ever encountered (second only to nipples on a nun).
Safari rocks.

Last edited:
Chrome because Firefox was getting fussy. I only bust out IE if I really, really, really want to see something, and it won't function in any other browser save IE. Otherwise, I can't stand the Explorer-type-thing.

Out of curiosity I tried Opera last night. It was pretty good, I guess, but I couldn't find any features that really stand out, is there some particular reason it's meant to be good?

Disconnected said:
Out of curiosity I tried Opera last night. It was pretty good, I guess, but I couldn't find any features that really stand out, is there some particular reason it's meant to be good?

I think Opera isn't much popular in the Computer world. But for the mobiles and smartphones, opera is the best.

I like Serena said:
... Firefox has the most functionality ...

Well, that depends on what you want to do. For some of what I do, it's utterly useless and I have to use IE.

phinds said:
For some of what I do, it's utterly useless and I have to use IE.
What! IE can do something Firefox can't? I'd like to know what that is.

dlgoff said:
What! IE can do something Firefox can't? I'd like to know what that is.

Well, the fundamental thing that I do pretty much every day that cannot be done with FireFox is to open a web page for editing of the HTML source so that I can edit it then click "refresh" and see the changes. I do that on my local computer 'til I get what I want then I upload it to the server. This inability makes FireFox useless to me as my default browser because I do that so often.