Combination Problem: 8 Balls & 2 Urns/Children

• Thread starter 3.141592654
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combination
In summary, the problem asks how many ways you can divide 8 different colored balls between 2 urns, where each urn can hold only one ball. If the urns are indistinguishable, then you would have to divide the balls by 2^8=256. If the urns are distinguishable, then you would have to divide the balls by 2^8+1=257.

Homework Statement

You are given 8 balls, each of a different color. How many distinguishable ways can you:

(1) Divide them (equally or unequally) between 2 urns.
(2) Divide them (equally or unequally) between 2 children (and each child cares about the colors he or she receives).

Homework Equations

These are the enumeration formulas we are responsible to know:

Sampling with replacement and order: [itex]n^r[/itex]
Sampling without replacement, without order: nCr = [itex]\frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}[/itex]
Sampling without replacement, with order: nPr = [itex]\frac{n!}{(n-r)!}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I initially thought that problem (1) would be without replacement and without order, so that the answer would be a combination with n=8 and r=2, and that problem (2) would be without replacement and with order, so a permutation with n=8 and r=2.

However, that isn't correct. It seems like it might actually be a case where there is replacement. The fact that we are giving the balls to two people, or placing them in two urns, is screwing me up. How can I think about this problem and go about solving it? Is it solvable with just the equations I've listed above? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the 8 balls being lined up in a row.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Put a 1 in each place if the ball goes in urn A and a 0 if it goes in urn B. How many binary numbers does that give? Then it matters whether the urns are distinguishable.

Okay, so if for each ball there would be 2 options for urns, meaning that for the case when the urns are indistinguishable the options available would be:

[itex]2^8 = 256[/itex].

This would be a case where order matters, right? When order doesn't matter I'd have to divide by the number or repetitions, but I'm not understanding how to do that...

3.141592654 said:
Okay, so if for each ball there would be 2 options for urns, meaning that for the case when the urns are indistinguishable
You mean distinguishable
the options available would be:

[itex]2^8 = 256[/itex].

This would be a case where order matters, right? When order doesn't matter I'd have to divide by the number or repetitions, but I'm not understanding how to do that...

If you can't tell the urns apart that would just cut it down by half. For example if you put all the balls in urn A and none in urn B, you couldn't distinguish that from its opposite case because you don't know which urn is which.

I'm afraid the wording of the problem is a bit ambiguous regarding the difference between 1 and 2. The balls are all different colors. If in 1 you are supposed to ignore the colors I would think the problem would state that. In any case we have answered 2, assuming the two children aren't identical twins.

1. How many different combinations are possible with 8 balls and 2 urns/children?

The number of possible combinations is 36, as calculated by the formula nCr = (n!)/((n-r)!r!), where n is the total number of objects (8 balls) and r is the number of objects being selected (2 urns/children). This formula is also known as the combination formula.

2. What is the probability of selecting 2 balls from 8 balls and placing them in 2 urns/children?

The probability depends on how the balls are being selected and placed. If the selection is random and each ball has an equal chance of being chosen, then the probability of selecting 2 balls from 8 balls and placing them in 2 urns/children is 1/6, or approximately 0.167.

3. Can the 8 balls be divided equally between the 2 urns/children?

No, it is not possible to divide 8 balls equally between 2 urns/children. This is because 8 is an even number and when divided by 2, it will always result in a remainder of 0. In order to divide the balls equally, the total number of balls should be an odd number.

4. How does the number of urns/children affect the number of possible combinations?

The number of possible combinations increases as the number of urns/children increases. For example, with 8 balls and 3 urns/children, the number of possible combinations is 56. This is because there are more options for placing the balls when there are more urns/children available.

5. Can the balls be placed in the urns/children in a specific order?

Yes, the balls can be placed in the urns/children in a specific order. This is known as the permutation problem, where the order of placement matters. In this case, the formula for calculating the number of possible permutations is nPr = (n!)/(n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects (8 balls) and r is the number of objects being selected (2 urns/children).