The destruction of matter due to spaghettification

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of matter falling into a black hole and undergoing spaghettification. At the subatomic level, matter loses its properties as matter and gains properties of energy. However, energy does contribute to gravity through the Stress-energy tensor. The conversation also mentions possible explanations for the survival of matter within a black hole, such as the continuous absorption of matter or the existence of dark matter. It is also noted that matter can be converted into energy, such as in radioactive decay, and that dark energy plays a significant role in the mass-energy content of the universe.
Kamon2011
This is my first time posting on the forums, so please be nice if I mess up :)

My question is this: After matter falls past the event horizon it undergoes spaghettification. Now let's say a human falls into the black hole. His hand enters first and is being accelerated faster than the rest of his body. Therefore he is stretched out and eventually destroyed. Now to go smaller, even his cells would be separated from each other, then the cell itself is stretched and destroyed. Then even the molecules making up the cell would be stretched, breaking the chemical bonds as the atoms are pulled apart, and essentially. Then inevitably the nuclear forces of the atom of pulled apart and the protons and neutrons are separated, then they themselves are destroyed into what they are composed of, and etc. etc.

What I'm getting at is once you get to the subatomic level, the matter starts losing properties of matter and gaining properties of energy, which does not include gravity.

So if all the matter the black hole consumes is eventually destroyed, or converted, to energy, there should be nothing within the black hole to sustain it and continue to bend space. I have proposed a couple of possible explanations:

1. The black hole continues to absorb matter at equal or greater value than it is destroying
2. Some base particle is reached at which point nothing can be broken down further. This still doesn't seem logical cause at this still unobserved value it should be something along the lines of pure energy or strings.
3. The strength of the forces required to break up some stage of matter, like the atom, are so great that time will be dilated to such a corresponding degree that it will never be reached. The atom is essentially frozen in time.
4. And of course the Lupus of the physics world: dark matter some how coexists with matter and is separated and continues to survive inside of the black hole curving space.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Kamon2011 said:
What I'm getting at is once you get to the subatomic level, the matter starts losing properties of matter and gaining properties of energy, which does not include gravity.
Here's your mistake. Energy does contribute to gravity. Gravity is due to the Stress-energy tensor, of which, energy is a component.

Kamon2011 said:
I have proposed a couple of possible explanations:...

God, another one...

Janus said:
Here's your mistake. Energy does contribute to gravity. Gravity is due to the Stress-energy tensor, of which, energy is a component.

Thank you for telling me, I did not know that :) I'll go do more research on Stress-energy tensor.

God, another one...

Did I do something wrong?

Kamon2011 said:
My question is this: After matter falls past the event horizon it undergoes spaghettification.

The point at which spaghettification occurs does not have to be at the event horizon. For larger black holes, where the gradient is less severe, it will be closer, and with smaller ones it will be further away I believe.

Then inevitably the nuclear forces of the atom of pulled apart and the protons and neutrons are separated, then they themselves are destroyed into what they are composed of, and etc. etc.

Maybe. The quarks that make up protons and neutrons cannot be "seperated" like other subatomic particles. Usually when we try, such as in a particle collider, the energy used to pull one quark from the other two causes another quark to be created to replace it and create another quark to pair with the one you pulled. Quarks are never found by themselves, but always in groups. What happens in a black hole to matter is currently not known for sure I believe.

Matter always has the properties of matter. There is a widespread misconception about what energy is that I really don't want to get into in this thread lol. Matter can be turned into energy, but I have never seen an example except for annihilation where it turns into photons.

Did I do something wrong?

Wrong? Not really. There is just a large amount of people that come onto the forums here on PF and try to explain phenomena that are already explained or they use completely unfounded personal theories with nothing to support it. Most of the time they don't even make any sense and violate current science.

Drakkith said:
... "Matter always has the properties of matter. There is a widespread misconception about what energy is that I really don't want to get into in this thread lol. Matter can be turned into energy, but I have never seen an example except for annihilation where it turns into photons."
Matter is converted to photons in many ways - e.g., radioactive decay, cosmic ray collisions with Earth's atmosphere, chemical/nuclear weapon detonations - etc. Janus correctly notes the contribution of energy to the stress energy tensor. This is why dark energy is such a huge contributor to the effective mass-energy content of the universe.

Chronos said:
Matter is converted to photons in many ways - e.g., radioactive decay, cosmic ray collisions with Earth's atmosphere, chemical/nuclear weapon detonations - etc. Janus correctly notes the contribution of energy to the stress energy tensor. This is why dark energy is such a huge contributor to the effective mass-energy content of the universe.

I've never heard of most of those being matter conversion to energy, but mass. IE the decay of something via alpha particles leaves it's product particles with less mass than they had before the decay, but the matter is all still there. But I can easily agree with the explanation you gave.

1. What is "The destruction of matter due to spaghettification"?

The destruction of matter due to spaghettification is a theoretical phenomenon that occurs when an object, such as a star or black hole, is subjected to extreme gravitational forces. This intense gravity causes the object to stretch and elongate, resembling a piece of spaghetti, and can potentially lead to the destruction of the object.

2. How does spaghettification occur?

Spaghettification occurs when an object enters a region of space with a significantly stronger gravitational pull than its own. This could happen near a black hole or in the presence of a very massive object. As the object gets closer to the source of gravity, the difference in the gravitational force between the side closer to the source and the side farther away causes the object to stretch and eventually break apart.

3. Can spaghettification happen to Earth or other planets?

No, spaghettification is only observed in extreme cases, such as near a black hole. The gravitational forces on Earth or other planets are not strong enough to cause spaghettification.

4. Is there any way to survive spaghettification?

Unfortunately, there is currently no known way to survive spaghettification. The intense gravitational forces would likely cause any object or living being to be torn apart. However, this is still a theoretical concept and has not been observed in real life.

5. How does spaghettification impact our understanding of the universe?

Spaghettification is an important concept in the study of black holes and other extreme gravitational phenomena. It helps us understand the effects of gravity on matter and the limits of our current understanding of the universe. It also serves as a reminder of the immense power and complexity of the forces at play in our universe.